The Courthouse

Something of which came as a bit of a shock to Iris was just how much planning it required to organise a courthouse wedding

Something of which came as a bit of a shock to Iris was just how much planning it required to organise a courthouse wedding. And if there was one thing Iris hated doing it was planning any kind of event, yet alone such an important one. It was the main reason she had been putting off planning a big family wedding, she hated the very idea of doing it and her husband to be was no help either. George had always answered to every question she had asked with 'it's whatever you want Iris'. Or he had at first. They had a rather large argument following the last time he had said those words in response to Iris. And sure he had thought that he was doing the right thing knowing that the wedding day was mostly about the bride rather than the groom. But that had not been the case for Iris.

'Like I said Iris, I really don't mind I want you to be happy.' He had changed the way he said the same words but nevertheless Iris was getting the same impression from him and her face dropped. This was the seventh time they had tried to sit down and just decide one factor for the wedding, just the one factor. But he seemed more and more disinterested in it every time they sat down at the kitchen table and she was slowly starting to feel that he had a disinterest in actually getting married. The anxiety and fear was climbing up on her once again, as her thoughts started to snowball and she began to come to the conclusion that he was disinterested due to a lack of desire to marry her. That he was only doing this because of the law they were having to follow. 

'I understand George.' She replied the small amount of enthusiasm she had felt when first sitting down was now gone. And as Iris closed the book they had open with the different options for the reception she slowly rose from her seat. There was no point planning a marriage where the person doesn't even want to marry you. 

'Iris, where are you going?' George had the audacity to be confused in that moment in time, perhaps he generally was but in Iris spiralling thoughts he was only acting this way to avoid actually having to tell her the truth. 

'I'm done George. I'm done planning a wedding to someone who doesn't even want to marry me.' And she did not wait for him to reply before leaving the room in the direction of the hallway the intent to put on a coat and some shoes and head out for some fresh air. She was quick in her actions as well, not allowing George time to catch up with her was he to notice where she was heading. 

But that was the thing with George, he knew Iris and her habits well. And the moment he took notice of her leaving the flat in the middle of London he knew where she was heading. And shortly afterwards did he find her sat in the same park from all those nights ago and on the same bench. Only this time was it him bringing the bottle of alcohol in the ever familiar brown paper bag as he took a seat beside her. He offered her the bottle before saying anything watching on as she opened it and took a large swig. 

"Iris, I swear it is nothing to do with the fact that I do not want to marry you. I proposed to you because you being my wife is the right thing. I just want you to be happy on our wedding day, I want it to be perfect for you. For me the day will be perfect as long as we are wed, I don't care for much else." George tried to inform her but Iris looked at him with a look of bewilderment and though his words did a little to crush her snowballing thoughts it did not help the situation. 

"I can't plan something this big on my own George. I can't even plan a birthday party successfully on my own. You do not need to have strong opinions but you need to have opinions. Otherwise its just a miserable one person show." Iris tried to explain her side to him and the pair both shared a look as they had a rather mellow argument about the situation. If you could call it an argument really. They had aired their thoughts and now had to figure out a plan. 

"Okay, I understand. Together, we plan it together."

It would turn out that even together George and Iris were not the best planners around. They could barely come up with a decisive thought between them, neither knowing exactly what they wanted and with such a big weight being held over their shoulders to get it done it was only having the opposite effect. And that was why a smaller courthouse wedding was perfect for them. At least until they made the decision whether they wanted the big family event, as Iris had stated she would be okay without it but George had brought up the good point that they did have two other people who would not be happy with just a courthouse wedding they had to think of. And even then the planning had not been easy. But they had finalised a couple of things and successfully planned it out. 

And the morning was soon there. Iris had stayed with her parents overnight, the plan was to use their floo system, which had been temporarily connected for the day in particular to then arrive at the courthouse. And Iris awoke to her mother and her best friend stood over her as her bridal team. As the plan had been to not do the big wedding, they only needed a witness. And had settled on their parents and a friend each. Iris had gone for Padma and George for Lee. 

She changed into a simple satin ivory gown and her hair was up considering they were getting married in June and the weather had started to warm up. And as she looked at herself in the mirror before leaving the bathroom her mind really did try to convince her that Lavender was staring back at her once again. Though this time the image staring back was not in the same clothes but a baby blue gown. And Iris knew her sister was there today. Shining down as the maid of honour. 

They had chosen to have the wedding in London to symbolise their new life together, or so George had stated. And as iris waited to enter the room where he and the rest of their very small party were located she turned to her father anxious for what was to be on the other side. The ceremony did allow her to walk down a very small aisle to where they would state their vows before moving to the table to sign the certificate. And Iris knew exactly what was to transpire yet it did not stop her feeling so worried prior. 

"Do you think we are doing the right thing?" Iris asked her father before the pair walked in.

"I do not think a big show off wedding is the right thing for either of you right now, maybe in a couple of years perhaps." And with her father also coming to the same conclusion Iris felt more prepared to enter. There seemed to be no judgement from her side of the family, the same could not be said from Molly Weasley but all that matter was that they were to be wed. 

The walk down the tiny little aisle was nerve wracking and as Iris concentrated on trying not to stumble in the shoes she should have worn in just a little more she almost forgot to look at the man who would be her husband in less than half an hour. But she would forever be thankful she did as George was not quite in tears but he was for sure an emotional state. And seeing that look was enough to know that what they had ran much, much deeper than the law of which they were being forced to comply to. 

"We are here today to witness the wedding of George Fabian Weasley and Iris Juniper Brown. If there are no objections we shall carry on forwards." The officiator started giving a small pause to allow for any objections. Though when the room remained in silence they continued forth. 

"George if you will, place the ring on Iris' finger and repeat the vows after me."

"I George take you, Iris. To be my wife, to have and to hold, from this day forward. For better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish till death do us part." George started and as he finished a new silver wedding band had joined the silver engagement ring on Iris' finger. 

"And now Iris." 

"I Iris take you, George. To be my husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward. For better for worse, for richer for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish till death do us part." And with her fingers shaking she gently pushed on a matching silver band.

"I hereby declare you husband and wife."

And from then onwards she was Iris Weasley.