The Anniversary

There had been a point in Iris' life where May had been her favourite month

There had been a point in Iris' life where May had been her favourite month. And until recently it had remained that way. However now, now that everything had changed it was a complete different story and as May became a month she dreaded so greatly she almost forgot what it was like to even enjoy it. Lavender had declared the moment that they had turned 8 that May was the month of celebrating the twins. With the 16th being everyone's favourite day of the year, a unofficial national holiday. And Iris, adoring her barely younger twin, would agree never being able to refuse Lavender. Not when it was as harmless as wanting to make a spectacle out of your birthday. 

And it was probably this tradition, this routine that Iris had for nearly 10 years breaking on may 2nd 1998 which ruined the entire month for the soon to be 20 year old. That they would never get around to celebrate their 18th together that ruined a lot of things for Iris. 

May also was the worst month of the year because of the events which occurred on May 2nd 1998. The previous year as the anniversary approached Iris had been plagued by a reoccurring nightmare in the days prior. And this year it would appear no different. As from the 26th April the young witch had not slept a full night. As for at least one time during the night would she be awoken harshly, her mind foggy as she could not distinguish from the dream and the reality of which surrounded her. And it was probably a little bold to have called it a dream, asserting to the fact that it was not a real event of which plagued her mind late at night. For it was a memory of which battered at the time of the day of which Iris was supposed to be at rest at peace. But here she was knowing that until the day she followed into the veil after her sister that she would not be at peace from these memories. 

It had been the same moment over and over again, the same 10 or 15 minutes, maximum, from that fatal day. The minutes of which would change her life as she knew it forever. 

Iris would never have claimed to have been an awfully cautious witch, she frequented the medical wing from small injuries she had incurred either during the lessons or practice of the magic she had been taught during class, to other not so dignified moments when the magical stairs won and she had to either dash to avoid being stuck in the middle of the castle not sure where she was going to end up. Therefore, when there was such a battle against the two sides of the wizarding war taking part in the boarding school she currently resided in, it should be no shock that Iris would at some point end up injured. It was in her nature, a natural fact that would happen regardless of how cautious she was attempting to be. Or how well her sister and friends looked out for her. 

Therefore, her sitting on the steps in the great hall she had once sat on watching people submit their names into the goblet of fire, receiving medical attention for the rather large gash she had acquired on her forehead was no surprise. It was just a known factor happening just as it was expected to. And as the healer took their time to gently clean the cut which was much deeper than initially thought Iris scanned the room for anyone she recognised. But the person she was desperately looking for was her little sister. But Iris could not easily see Lavender sat anywhere in the room. An indication that she had yet to receive medical attention but also that she was still out there somewhere on the battle field. Under severe danger, and the protective instinct Iris had as the older sister was in full force.