The Clock Hand

Upon waking that morning, Iris had noted that George was being much much nicer than normal to her

Upon waking that morning, Iris had noted that George was being much much nicer than normal to her. Not that he was a horrible person, but he was barely allowing her to do anything. He had started the morning by bringing her breakfast in bed, a tray of assorted goods of which Iris favoured heavily. From then onwards he had been overly nice offering to help her with her hair, he had done a load of chores so that his flat did not look like a tip. And overall, the more he did the more suspicious Iris became. 

George could be overly doting on her, he had his moments when it felt as though he was trying to protect her from the world and absolutely everything in it. But today did not feel like one of those days. Today it was becoming more obvious that he was hiding something from her. That was mainly backed up by the increasing number of complements she had received. They had been officially 'together' now for over a month George having asked Iris to be his girlfriend on the second week of January. And the complements had slowly become less exaggerated and over the top and were rather slipped more into casual conversation now instead of being made a point. Yet today he was making a point of complementing her at every opportunity. 

And sure for a while it felt good. Iris felt great at first, very much accepting of the complements and the waiting on hand and foot. She had accredited it to her being on a week, of very well deserved holiday, and that George was just taking time to try and get her to relax for the break from work. Until, it had gotten past being nice and venturing to being slightly irritating. As it became more and more obvious that something was being hidden from her. George had a very obvious tell when he was lying, his now singular ear would twitch a tell Iris could only assumed worked when he had both. 

"George what are you trying to butter me up for?" Iris finally asked at midday having slowly started to loose her marbles with the way he was acting. 

"Nothing Rizzo." George's ear twitched and Iris knew she had caught him.

"Don't even bother trying to hide it, I can tell." Iris felt as though she might be coming off a little big headed in that moment but she wouldn't reveal her ability to pick up on his tell for the fear he would stop doing so and she would have to learn whatever else he did to give it away. 

"I'm not hiding anything." George was trying to stay strong, he was even attempting to use the puppy eye trick to get his way but it was having no true effect on Iris she needed to know what was going on.

"And I haven't got you anything for Valentines day."

"Wait you haven't?" Flipping the conversation point slightly seemed to work in Iris' favour as George seemed shocked enough at her blag.

"Of course I have Georgie, I'm not heartless." 

"Okay fine, you caught me. I might have agreed to us both going back over to my parents this evening for a family games night." George finally cracked and his face took on a look of apprehension as he was not too sure what the reaction to his words was going to be.