The Double

Following the prompt closure of the leaky cauldron, for some much needed repair work Iris had spent most of her time working around the shop

Following the prompt closure of the leaky cauldron, for some much needed repair work Iris had spent most of her time working around the shop. They had never gone for the checkup the next morning, Iris having felt incredibly well and did not want to pressure the NHS for an unnecessary appointment. And she had only continued to grow. As the 20 week mark finally came, Iris noted that she was much bigger than she had ever expected to be. She could recall that Padma had not been this big when she had been at the same point, nor had any of the extended Weasley family. But she had assumed that people just carried differently. But she also knew that they would get answers that afternoon. The 20 week abnormality scan was booked for 3:15pm. A scan she was both excited for and scared to occur. Knowing that things could still go incredibly wrong at this scan. 

That morning she had kept herself busy and distracted by working the till in the shop. It was beginning to become hard to hide her pregnancy considering she was significantly bigger than she had anticipated and some of her clothes were already beginning to not fit. It had been a mutual decision that people who needed to know, would know. That family were aware of what was going on, along with close friends but otherwise it would not be something they would be shouting from the rooftops about. Both too anxious to really want to overshare just in case. And if one of the really young customers asked when they visited if Iris had a baby in her tummy, they too would be clued into it. Considering both Iris and George had soft spots for every child which visited Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. 

Arriving at St George's Hospital in London, the two Weasleys were significantly early for their 3:15 appointment. Fear and anxiety regarding being late had wound them both being half an hour early to their appointment. This was not really a massive problem for the staff who were able to signpost them to the waiting room. After all, Iris had to provide them a sample for urinalysis prior to her appointment anyways, something she had to do prior to every appointment she attended. Just so they could keep an eye on her overall wellbeing. The person it was mainly a problem for was George, who as the time ticked past a lot slower than he expected, disappeared to the toilet a couple of times. 

"Again?" Iris questioned as he stood for perhaps the third or fourth time to head towards the toilet only just down the hall. Spoken with a questioning tone, and what she hoped did not sound like she was belittling him, she awaited a response. 

"Just another nervous wee Rizzo don't think too much into it." He winked as he attempted to show her that he was okay, or at least that was what Iris was reading into. For as she attempted to stay levelheaded and calm he was all over the show with the anxiety in which she assumed he was feeling on his behalf and her own. 

"My name's Iris." She fired back knowing he would never get rid of the Grease reference for a nickname, it was after all his favourite film of all time. All she got was a wink before her husband was walking back in the direction of the male toilets. 

"Iris?" A practitioner called and Iris looked around, noting that George once again had horrible timing as she slowly stood from her chair. She took a little longer than normal to make her way towards the door frame of which the lady stood waiting for her hoping that he would be able to catch up. And just as she reached the medical professional she heard the sound of very familiar heavy footsteps attempting to catch up. 

"How are you this afternoon?"

"Little nervous but okay, how are you?" Iris responded in an attempt to make conversation as she knew the lady before her was. George was soon by her side as he took her hand and the pair followed the lady towards a room down the very small hallway. No further words were spoken until the pair were inside of the examination room. 

"Hi I'm Christie I'll be the sonographer today just a couple questions and then we can begin?" The lady now identified by name introduced herself and Iris only smiled. It was strange that they were going to a normal muggle hospital for this checkup, as they could have done it at St Mungos which was only located a couple minutes down the road. But Iris' mother had done it the muggle way and stated it was something she had really enjoyed and when compared to the experience Molly had at St Mungos it had been determined that the pair would do it the muggle way. 

"Just need to check your date of birth."

"15th May 1980." Iris confirmed as she waited for the next question. 

"And who have you brought with you today?" 

"This is my husband George." Christie went to shake hands with George muttering a small congratulations to the man before motioning to the examination bed in the middle of the room. 

"Take a seat and lift your top, slightly lower your jeans and I'll get ready. The gel will be a little cold." Were the instructions that Iris followed. Christie placed the gel onto her lower stomach, and was quiet as she looked around, the only sound a few clicks as she pressed buttons on the ultrasound machine. She spoke very little for a while not sharing anything with either parent as they waited anxiously for news. 

"Oh hello." A small sound came from Christie, something that confused both Iris and George as they looked to one another before returning their attention back to the black and white screen of the ultrasound machine. 

"How many are you expecting Iris?" Christie asked and Iris had a feeling she might know where this was heading and her heart rate picked up a little.

"Just the one?" It was what she knew but it came out as a question.

"Well say hello to baby number two. It looks like you are having twins." And Iris could just feel George's hand which held her own tighten. 

"Twins?" Iris clarified her brain knowing it was a possibility but having believed otherwise for so many weeks she was shocked.

"Here is baby number one, and here is baby number two." Christie pointed out and Iris could feel the tears coming into her eyes. "Does twins run in the family?"

"Should have known, we're both twins." Iris gave a tearful yet happy response as she looked up to her husband to come to sight with a matching expression. 

"Both twins look in good health, baby two is hiding slightly behind baby one might be why they were missed at your first scan. I'm not sure I can tell their gender do you want to see if I can get the right angle?" Christie offered and Iris wasn't sure what the answer would be, they hadn't discussed it and she did not mind either way. 

"I think another surprise would be fun." George responded instead and Iris could only squeeze back the hand she held. Christie only nodded before clearing off most of the remaining gel.

"I'll give you a minute to sort yourself out and print those photos." She spoke before disappearing behind the drawn curtains. Iris swung her legs off the side of the bed, bringing herself to sit on the edge as she cleaned the last of the gel from her lower stomach. George was quick on his feet to lend a helping hand. Looking at her with a mix of awe. 

"We're having twins." He mumbled, the shock still evident as Iris gave his arm a squeeze. 

"Lee is going to be so upset he's lost the bet to Angelina." Iris responded and George gave her another look of disbelief, unsure of how she had come to learn about the bet between his two best friends. 

"How did you-?"

"It was a mistake ever introducing me and Angelina, she's my best friend now not yours."