"Tears for the Dead" -Russia & China-

He hasn't seen beings like these during his old days. Sure, he'd seen things and lived longer than the others, but for the first time, he had no wisdom or advice to share in this matter. Everyday seemed like a new adventure, however not an adventure he'd like to be in. Yao was used to things being predicable and easy to solve since he'd dealt with them before in the past. But now, things were unpredictable and he had no way of knowing how things would play out.

It was night fall, and the Chinese man sat on his knees, staring outside. He had found a shelter near the border of China and Russia. It wasn't a huge shelter, nor was it strong, but it was good enough to last them a night. Oh yeah, them.

Yao turned and looked over at the sleeping Russian who was curled up in the corner of the shack. They had crossed paths during the outbreak and decided they should partner up and face the world together. They were going to the same place anyways, Berlin. The safe house. Yao looked over at Ivan and watched him sleep. He didn't look particularly comfortable nor did he look asleep at all.

"Ivan, I know you're awake." Yao said in a calm voice, looking back outside. It was dark, making it hard to watch out for biters. Ivan's violet eyes opened up and stared at Yao.

"It's hard to sleep." He mumbled quietly, forcing himself to sit back up.

The 'end of the world' had changed both of them, a lot. At the start, they had stayed with their families. Ivan with his sisters, and Yao with his siblings. Everything seemed to be going fine. They had a routine and adapted to their new environment and the new world. However, right when everything seemed to be going smoothly, hell broke lose again.

Ivan lost both his sisters, and Yao lost all his siblings. They both had to watch their family being torn apart in the biters' grasps. Both had to just sit and watch, not being able to do anything about it. Yao dealt with his loss pretty well, due to the fact he'd lost many fellow countries in the past and saw nearly all of the old countries fall. Being the eldest, he witnessed many things. However, Ivan was not like him. Yes, he was used to being left and hurt by those he loved, but he was never in the situation where he had to watch his loved ones being hurt and having them being forcefully taken away.

They both travelled a couple days alone after their losses before they found each other. Yao was doing a food and supply run when he found Ivan huddled in the corner of a shop, crying. After they both explained what had happened to them, they decided to join together and travel to Berlin as partners.

"Remember, Germany told us to report to his capital if anything were to happen." Yao had re-informed Ivan when their paths first crossed. "Now, since we are travelling to the same place, it'll only make sense if we go together. Don't you agree, aru?" Ivan had reponded with a simple approval to the idea. The loss of his family had been tough on him, and Yao took note of that.

...

"You do not need to sleep if you cannot." Yao said in almsot a whisper. His eyes scanned the area outside again, no biters to be seen. Seeing how they were okay in that moment of time, Yao got up from his post by the window and walked over to Ivan.

"I am much tired, but much awake." Ivan said softly, pulling his knees up to his chest. His violet eyes started to gloss over with tears, which wasn't uncommon for him anymore. He had been crying an awful lot since the start. The Chinese man sat down beside the Russian and sighed.

"I know, aru. I am feeling the same way, but you should at least get some sleep. I've slept a couple hours earlier, so I am fine. You, however, haven't slept for a while." Ivan shook his head at Yao's words, burying his face in his arms.

"I-I am not wanting to see them." He mumbled, his voice cracking. In them Yao knew he meant his sisters. Often times when the Russian managed to gain sleep, he would awake screaming from nightmares of seeing his sisters being ripped apart. Just the thought of it, awake or not, could make him breakdown.

After a moment of thought on the action, Yao wrapped his arms around the Russian, holding him close in a comforting manner. "Shhh, its alright." He whispered while rubbing Ivan's arm. "I know, its hard. Such things cannot be easily forgotten."

Ivan leaned into his embrace, burying his face in Yao's chest. He craved sleep, he wanted it so badly. However the thought of reliving his sisters' death was too much for him to bare. "I'm tired... but sleep doesn't want me." Faint walking and growls could be heard outside. Biters had come by once again. A soft whimper escaped Ivan's lips at the sound as he buried himself even more into Yao's arms.

"There, there." Yao said in a calm voice. He gently stroked Ivan's hair as he held him closer. "Don't be afraid. They won't hurt you inside here, just go to sleep. Sleep is every man's essential need. If we do not gain what we need, we won't have the strength to carry on. Close your eyes, Ivan, and obtain what you need." A few tears rolled down Ivan's cheeks as he closed his eyes. Yao was right, sleep was what he needed. But how could he receive something that did not want to be given to him.

As if reading his mind, Yao began to hum a soft, simple tune, one that would usually be played for a little baby.
"小白兔乖乖 把门儿开开
快点开开 我要进来
不开不开不能开 妈妈没回来
不能把门开"
He sang each word with as much gentleness and purity he could muster. It was a popular song from his country, one he would usually sing for Kiku when he was little. Smiling at the nostalgic and sad memories, Yao continued his song.

Ivan's eyes began to droop tiredly at the lullaby, peaceful sleep soon taking over. Yao's lullaby softened his distressed, frightened heart and made him fall into a sweet dream, one that would not make a horrific turn to the harshness of reality. The Russian was soon sleepily limp in Yao's arms, still holding on to him in a weak embrace.

"Sweet dreams, Ivan..." Yao whispered as he concluded his song. He brushed away the loose strands of his beige hair out of his face, grinning softly. Ivan's fearful expression relaxed as a small smile tugged at his lips. "May your child-like heart finally get some rest."

Sighing, Yao rested his head back against the wooden walls, Ivan sleeping peacefully in his lap. How many days would it take to get to Berlin? How many miles must they walk? How will they get there? Will they get there? ... Yao shook that question out of his mind.

We will get to Berlin. Ivan and I both. The others will be there, we need to meet up with them.... I wonder how many are left. Who else fell? Who will greet us at Berlin?

The biter outside was now scratching at the window to his right, it's dead growls muffled behind the glass. Yao closed his eyes and listened to the biter.

Is this how the world will be now? Are these the new humans, and we are the livestock?

_________________
A/N: Heyyy so, just to clear things up.

The song China was singing to Russia was a Chinese nursery rhyme called "Little White Rabbits".
I thought it fit better since it's canon that Russia still has a child-like demeanour.

Anyways! I hope you liked this, and comment your opinions!

I'll try to get a new chapter in every week, starting now!