"Silver and Blood" -Denmark, Sweden, Finland-

[ Denmark/Mathias P.O.V ]

It was quite a surprise to see them. Weeks prior I've accepted that everyone I knew and was family to were dead. It was cutting close to when I started believing that no one else living was still walking this earth. Months had passed since I've seen someone walking around with a beating heart. Seeing Tino and Berwald again were... quite a heartwarming sight.

However, meeting them wasn't like how it was when I saw them last. If I could recall, the last time we were together, Berwald and Tino were playing with Peter in their living room. I had come over to borrow some- y'know, what I came to borrow isn't important. Anyways, I went over to borrow something I would need later on that night and saw Tino fixing up the living room as Peter watched TV with Berwald. Tino was smiling and glowed his usual lively happiness. Peter was laughing and acted like how any child would. Berwald sat stoic where he was whilst reading the newspaper, a small smile every now and then creeping on his lips.

At the time, that was normal. That's how it was all the time, every time I saw them. Now as I look back at it, it's such a foreign memory. Almost as if it were a dream.

"You can sleep near those shelves." Berwald said softly, pointing over to an old shop shelf that used to hold up medicine bottles. I had settled down with them after we were reunited and found out they were hiding out in this shop for the time being. Surprisingly, that was all they told me so far. Not much, right? You leave the fam for, what, at least four months and that's all you catch up on. I don't blame them though... I have my fair share of events I've kept silent.

"Thanks." I replied absentmindedly as I kept to my thoughts. Yes, it wasn't a surprise amongst all our demeanors. We were all quite different.

I glance over at Berwald. He was stashing some unperishables into his backpack and organizing them. His eyes gave off a glint of tiredness and a hint of loss. Overall, he just appeared worn out. Well, that wasn't entirely new since often times he'd appear that way in the past. But there were a few hints of sorrow. When I looked over at Tino, there was a massive change in demeanor. The Finnish male was cleaning his gun and wiping some dried blood off of it. His eyes were ever so slightly wide as he stared down at the weapon. The look on his eyes were different than Berwald's. I saw pain in them. Regret. Broken.

What the fuck happened to them? Where's the jolly Finny I knew who always greeted those with a bright smile. Where's the hard exterior but soft interior Berwald who always glared but was always silently pleased with everything. It was as if those personalities of their's were just an illusion remembered only in my own mind... I mean, I shouldn't be too surprised. I'm sure I've changed and just haven't noticed. I know things have changed, that's for certain.

"I'm going to go outside to see if it's safe to sleep." Berwald mumbled, setting his backpack down and standing up. I nodded as I watched him grab a pistol from a shelf and disappear through the door. There wasn't much of a difference when he left. It was still as silent as it had been for the past two hours.

I let out a sigh and bunched up my dirty jacket in the corner of two shelves, trying to create a makeshift bed. It wasn't great but it had to do, y'know. As I was starting to settle down, I noticed Tino doing the same a couple feet away from me. Silence still rang across the room, not that I minded. It was a common sound to me.

"Mathias?"

I blinked, glancing over. I saw Tino sitting on his knees, looking at me with an unreadable expression. The gun he was cleaning was set down beside him as he, too, was making himself a bed. I forced a small smile, "Yes, lil Teeny Tino?

He leaned back against the wall, staring at me while he scratched his cheek. Those eyes. They were dead looking. If it weren't for his body movement, he could easily be mistaken as dead. The Finnish man's eyes shifted over to me then to my hair. "That pin."