"Don't Look Back" -Russia & China-

Patter Patter

Ivan and Yao dashed through the forest, panting heavily. There was a herd of biters hobbling after them at a surprising speed that seemed to pick up by the second. It was mid-day so thankfully there was light to provide them a way to navigate through the trees. Unfortunately, the both of them had been running low on supplies so they were not in the best condition for excessive usage of their precious energy.

"Ivan, hurry!" Yao shouted, his eyes darting left and right to find somewhere they could hide. Ivan ran behind the Chinese man, his speed dropping at every stride. He panted heavily as adreneline ran through his veins. The thundering feet of the herd behind him grew louder and louder to his ears. Where would they go? There isn't any place in sight? They were done for. Truly done for.

"Yao!" Ivan's violet eyes locked on what appeared to be an old cabin in a small clearing. It seemed sturdy which was good against a herd. Yao caught sight of the cabin and nodded. It was some ways away but he knew they could make it. They had to. The Russian mustered up all the energy he could find in his wary body to make it to the cabin. Thoughts bounced around his mind the closer they got to the building.

What if we don't make it? They're coming close... I can hear them... Their footsteps shake the ground beneath me... I'm not going to make it. I can't do this. I won't--

Suddenly, as if death desired him greatly, Ivan felt his foot trample over a tree root on the forest floor, causing him to fall forward.

"Ah! Yao!" Ivan cried out, now lying face down on the dirt. His arms shook as he tried to push himself back to his feet. Yao's eyes widen as he quickly made a turn to go help his fallen friend. Just as the Chinese male got to the Russian, a biter snarled and grabbed at Ivan's ankle. At the feel of its bony fingers digging into him, Ivan screamed.

It has me. This is it. This is the end for me--

Clash

The sound of bone breaking shattered his 'last minute' thoughts and words.The hand which grabbed Ivan now laid limp on the floor, detached from the owner which it once was connected to. Yao stood above, holding a blood coated sword which he always hid so carefully around his back. Without saying another word, the Chinese man grabbed Ivan by the arm and dragged him back to his feet. And off running they went.

"We're not going to make it." Ivan cried, tears falling down his cheeks. He didn't even realise he had begun to bawl as he ran. Maybe it was when he fell that was when he began to cry. Nonetheless, the tears flowed and dripped down his chin. Yao huffed and ran beside him, frequently looking back at the biters behind. Due to the minor set back, they had grown closer to the two humans.

"We are going to make it, aru!" Yao shouted back, handing Ivan a knife. A look of determination shot past his eyes. "Don't give up. No matter what obstacles show, big or small, do not let it intimidate you. Keep your head and spirits high and you can over come anything." A strong smile spread across his lips. Such a strong smile from a former strong nation. A smile which had been shone through the ages from even before most people were born.

"D-Do you thinks so?" Ivan asked softly, the cabin coming closer. He wondered how Yao could stay optimistic about the situation they were in. How he could provide such good advice and motivation as death was crawling up behind him. Yao smiled even greater and nodded.

"Yes, Ivan. We will make it." He let out a soft chuckle. "We will make it to the cabin. It's right there! Keep your eyes forward to the future; the future is always bright. No matter what you do, don't lose sight of your goal. Remember that, Ivan. Don't-- Ack!"

Yao was suddenly cut short as teeth pierced through his right shoulder. A biter dug its teeth even deeper into his shoulder, causing a breakage of crimson to spread across his clothing. Ivan's eyes widened at the sight of his wounded partner, more tears welling up in his eyes. Quickly, he raised the knife Yao had handed him and stabbed it through its skull. Yao shoved it off of him once it was lifeless once more and stumbled forward.