This is Where We Fall | pt.2

The biters disbanded from outside their door to just roaming the first floor and outside around the perimeter. Just for good measures the staircase outside the meeting room was barricaded with chairs and any moveable tables.

This was the last rest. The last break. The last breath. No one needed to say anything about it for everyone knew it was.

Ludwig sat anxiously at the meeting table, his face buried in his hands. Mentally, he was trying to figure out how to word the whole solution he discovered. To tell the truth, he was terrified. That was not a term he would lightly use with himself. Yet, here he was. Ludwig truly feeling terrified.

Luckily, no one was eager on knowing what to do. They were all occupied mourning their loss or having relapsed feelings of defeat. They all kept to themselves as time ticked by.

"Mind if I sit?" Gilbert walked over to where Antonio sat. The Spaniard hadn't moved once since he first entered the room. He remained against the wall with his knees hugged against his chest.

At the Prussian's question, Antonio merely shrugged. Gilbert sat down beside him, saying nothing.

Even though no words were exchanged, there was a comforting aura being passed through the two. The mere knowledge and feel of the other beside them was comforting enough.

On the other side of the room, Ivan moved Toris over closer to a window so he could gaze outside. The Russian was aiding all he could to the injured Lithuanian. Nothing in the room could help his broken leg so Ivan had to merely help by taking Toris's mind off the pain.

"Do you want me to do anything for you?" Ivan asked, really wanting to do whatever he could to help his friend. Toris shook his head with a forced smile.

"No, it's okay, sir. I am okay." He said softly, feeling uncomfortable how Ivan was helping him. It didn't feel right to have his past boss come to his needs like a servant. "Thank you though."

Beside them was Mathias and Berwald. Mathias was fiddling with the Lukas's iron cross clip in his hands, running his thumb gently over the red hue that stained it's cold metal. How long had it been since then? It must've been at least a few weeks maybe a month. He remembered then he was having his last thoughts. Yet, here he was, having them again.

Berwald leaned against the wall beside the injured Dane. He tended to the other's wounds when they first made it in. It wasn't as bad as before but with the status it has now, Mathias won't be able to go so far on his own.

In the corner of the room, Matthew sat beside Alfred's body. Despite being so close to the body of his brother, he couldn't bring himself to look at the other. Even through death, the Canadian had a strong obligation to keep the other safe. Of course, Alfred didn't need to be kept safe anymore... that job has already been failed.

"I'm sorry..." Matthew whispered, bowing his head to stare down at his lap. The statement was directed to no one living but more like the spirit of someone up above.

I'm so sorry, Alfred... I made a vow to protect you. I promised to always be by you and that no harm would come to you. But... Here I am. Sitting beside your.. your corpse. You've always been my hero; you've always protected me. I wanted to repay that debt. Yet, here you are, dead beside me.

A couple of warm tears dripped off Matthew's chin as he raised an arm to wipe his face. No, he couldn't cry again. Not again. He had to be strong. He couldn't be weak. But... what for? Who did he need to protect and be strong for? Alfred was gone. Arthur and Francis are stronger than him already. Everyone else was taking care of themselves.

Some feet away, Arthur still was curled up in Francis's arms. He didn't move from his spot since they first arrived and the Frenchman made no action to make him. Both were distressed beyond belief- especially Arthur. After some time, Francis broke down crying as well with his lover. It was a miserable sight. Arthur buried his face into Francis' shoulder as Francis held him tightly to his chest, both in hysterics. Matthew joined in with them, hugging them both all together. However, he stopped his tear flow quicker due to the hard realization that there's no point anymore.