Goodbye, Until Tomorrow [Epilogue]

Roughly around a hundred years was how long it took for everything to settle. A hundred years. At least whole century after the nations sacrificed themselves for everyone. Once the last one of them fell upon the broken world, mending light and ideas began to flourish.

Humans grouped together and began to experiment and test upon the biters, being ever so careful as to not contribute to its deadly spread. It took years and countless lives to narrow it down to a conclusion as to what caused this and what could be done. There was a medicine made that would cure any infected and protect anyone from getting infected. Soon, the new world's first generation would have to do this mandatory vaccination to prevent any possible offspring or future generation from obtaining the epidemic.

Once they've successfully found a way to get rid of all these biters, all the remaining humans gathered together and roamed about through the world, killing the biters and injecting their cure into those infected. It took decades to complete all of this thoroughly. However, when ever last one was taken care of, that's when they knew they could start rebuilding the world.

A young woman discovered the Berlin meeting place. It was in shambles and no one was interested in investigating such a chilling place. She, being used to exploring such sights, ventured in to see what secrets it might hold.

She took note of a few objects that she passed by, even taking it with her for some artifacts and mementos from the apocalypse. Such objects included: a white and blue ribbon, spectacles, an iron cross, scraps of uniforms, what appeared to be bunny slippers, and even a toy egg. There were lots of other objects but they were mainly normal household stuff like plates and utensils and chairs.

As she roamed, the woman discovered non-biter bodies. By now, they had all been decomposed and mere skeletons with flies buzzing about around them. It still gave off a reeling odor, but she didn't mind. She continued to observe.

Five bodies side by side one another out in the front.

Two in the kitchen, one underneath a table and another by the sink.

Two in the parlor, both to appear to have been holding hands at the time of their death.

A pile of bones, not assembled together, towards the back way. The number of people was unclear.

One body up in on the top floor in an old meeting room, set near the corner.

Another in the basement with a slain biter beside it.

The woman walked about, writing in her journal about her observations and theories. She predicted that whoever was here had been here for a long time. The building seemed to be used a lot during the apocalypse and by multiple people. She concluded that the inhabitants were killed when a herd of biters came trampling in- evident by the broken windows and the doors that hung off its hinges.

She stopped writing when she came upon a study room. It wasn't in shambles like the rest of the place so there had to be something worth looking into in there. Slowly, she entered the room, scanning about for anything useful or informative. It was just a simply study with shelves of books one would see in a library. However, it wasn't the books that caught her eye. It was a folded piece of paper on the desk against the wall. Going over, she read the letter. The letter Matthew wrote before heading out to his demise.

That letter would be the letter that brought them all back.

..................

The letter was read and brought to many different people. It was read by historians, kids, past teachers, past government officials, and just about anyone. The contents were shared throughout the world and discussed by all who lived to inhabit it. Information about the personified nations were known throughout history. People knew their own country had one immortal representative that lived since the birth of their nation. They weren't spoken about a lot, oddly enough, but they were known.