This is Where We Fall | pt.3

The second the first morning rays glowed around the outline of the trees and illuminated the buildings around, they knew it was time. The day's first breath signified that this would soon be their last. No one announced the beginning of dawn. No one needed to inform them that they were to die very soon.

Instead, everyone stood up from wherever they lied or sat and stared at the door. It was almost like a robotic move and they all had wires connecting them together. Ludwig took the first step and walked over to the door of the meeting room. Pressing his ear to its wooden surface, he could infer to that the biters had dispersed and roamed about only on the lower floor and outside.

That's where their battleground would be.

"We split up." Ludwig explained, his voice uneasy as he realized this was his last battle command he would issue out. "Stay with a group or pair or by yourself... however you prefer to fight." The implied meaning was 'however you wish to die' and everyone picked that up.

Everyone walked over to him now, or hobbled when it came to Toris and Mathias's cases. They all stood side by side with their shoulders touching. That's when the surprising thing happened. Slowly, each one of them reached to their sides and grabbed the hands of the person beside them. No one looked at each other but they made contact through touch. Ludwig faced the united nations, feeling a lump form in his throat at how they stared at him.

For years, he would yell above their chatter. He would pry Arthur and Francis off from one another before they got into a fist fight. He would groan when his brother started to become egotistical and taunt Elizaveta. He would glance beside him and see Feliciano taking a nap where he sat, usually accompanied by Lovino who leaned against his shoulder. He would feel his blood boil in irritation as all the mixture of different tongues and accents crashed together as no one found a level of ground they all agreed on.

Ludwig faced that for years. Yet, at the end of it all, here were the remaining nations of the world holding hands in unison, silently listening to what was being said and obeying thoroughly. There were no arguments, no harsh words, no reluctance on complying to orders. Everyone was standing together. Everyone was ready for their final battle.

"When we get out there," Ludwig continued to instruct, trying to keep himself together through all this, "we fight until we can no longer stand. If someone is injured, or if you are injured, do not stop fighting. As how Arthur put it, this is a... suicide mission. The battle ends when we die. So, no matter what, don't stop fighting. That's our only objective. To fight as many of these... these pests so they don't bring harm to those left on this world. We won't do significant change right now since the biters below aren't even a tenth of what inhabits the entirety of this world, but it will do something. It will be significant as time passes..."

He paused for a moment, licking his lips. Did he say everything that was needed to be said? Did he explain the whole plan? Was there anything left out? Truthfully, the German was searching for anything to stall the moment before they all went out that door; before they all parted ways forever.

"I know, I'm not one to show any sentiment and touchy feelings but..." Ludwig sighed, locking eyes with each and every one of them as he followed down the line. A sad smile grew on his lips. "It has been a pleasure fighting along, and against, you all. Our histories and pasts may have been rough and filled with a massive mix of hate and allegiance, but nonetheless, it has been an honor to know each and every one of you. Whatever happens to us after this... I hope for the best for us all."

A little chuckle came from the Prussian on the end of the line as he reached over and took his brother's hand in his. "Hush up, will you? How pathetic would it be to fight with stuffy noses and teary eyes? I want to look good, dammit."