"The Story of Tonight" -France, Canada, America-

Attention! Before reading this chapter, please listen to the song "The Story of Tonight" from the musical Hamilton. You'll need to know that song before reading this or it won't make sense to you :)

Here's a link to the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIVOjsPrnOs

_______________________________________________________

It's quite easy to say that everyone changes in an apocalypse. It doesn't matter what type of apocalypse- each one has the same objective which is to end the world. No one could go through something like that and not have anything change and shift about them. That's impossible. Of course, observing and noticing such differences can vary from being very simple to very hard. That's what Francis was trying to do.

After calming Alfred down and easing his frightened and confused thoughts, Francis and Matthew had made the other a better makeshift bed near Arthur's body. Despite being told multiple times that the other was dead, Alfred refused to move from the Brit's side. He lied down in his bloody clothes and held onto the limp hand of his past and first companion. Matthew tried to convince Alfred to move away from Arthur (simply because he was worried about the other), but Alfred wouldn't listen. So, after failed attempts, they just decided to leave him.

Now here they were, an American attached to a dead Brit and a silent Frenchman sitting next to a working Canadian. This is when Francis began to piece together the differences he noticed in his two boys.

Matthew, who was going through his stash backpack, was more tough than before. There was no shyness or hesitance in his eyes like how there were before the world went to shit. Those purple hues were hard and determined now. Every action he made was with confidence and had a goal to reach- every single move. His facial features didn't resemble the sweet, gentle person he was known for. The cracks and flaws on his face told stories that can only be from the opposite of sweet. However, even with this more harsh exterior, Francis could still feel Matthew's kind heart still keeping him well on his toes.

Alfred was a different story. Maybe even a completely different one written by a different author. Francis couldn't trace back anything from the old Alfred then maybe his physical appearance. Then again, that even changed. The American was thinner physically and appeared very alert every second. As he leaned against the wall, his dark blue orbs were empty yet held cracks and shattered fragments along its pupils. Ever since he had woken up Alfred's words were scarce. Maybe that was because of Arthur's status or maybe not. Either way, his words were few or none. Whenever he did happen to speak, his voice was coated with fake strength and often faltered at every sentence. The hero had fallen, but still tried to hold up strong. But, Francis could clearly tell he wasn't as confident and determined as he was before. Now, Alfred was only... scared and uncertain.

"We found some of those cups of fruit a couple towns down." Matthew informed Francis, breaking him out of his thoughts. "We got a good handful." He handed over one of the plastic cups that held in packaged cubes of peaches. Francis took it was a small smile, giving the other a small nod.

"Thank you. It's been a while since I've had one of these."

Matthew chuckled lightly, taking another one out of the bag. He looked over at Alfred, putting on a genuine smile. "Alfred? Do you want one? I'll let you drink the sugary juice in mine since I know that's your favorite part."

Alfred shifted a bit where he sat against the wall, his eyes casted down to his bandaged torso. He did not look up though. "No. I'm fine, Mattie." His voice was soft but was forced with a tone to make him sound okay. Matthew and Francis could both hear through his lies.

"Well," the Canadian said, opening his own cup, '"If you want one later, let me know. I'll make sure to save one for you."

Alfred nodded silently, his hands still onto Arthur. The sight broke Francis's heart. He knew the history that was made between the two. He could recall the day they first met to the day they broke apart and even to the day where they mended their broken bond. Francis was always fond of the relationship between Alfred and Arthur. Being who he was meant he witnessed many different relationships between many different people. And after hundreds of years of observing this, he could clearly say Arthur and Alfred's one is the most special he had ever witnessed. Henceforth why this broke his heart.

Francis sighed, slowly getting up from where he was sitting. He walked over and sat next to Alfred, very gently placing an arm around him. The male didn't say anything, but merely gave the other a gentle, welcoming embrace. Alfred leaned into his arm, not saying anything as well. It was a silent action but certainly did soften the air around them.

"I may not live to see our glory..." Francis quietly sang suddenly, causing Alfred to break out of his own thoughts. That song... he hadn't sung that song in hundreds of years. He nearly forgot about it until Francis revived its sweet music

Matthew smiled, looking up from his backpack. He joined in since he was familiar with the tune, "but I will gladly join the fight."

"And when our children tell our stories." Francis added on, feeling Alfred shift in his gentle hold. "They'll tell the story of tonight."

That song held lots of memories and meaning to Alfred. It was a song he sang along with his people when he started to doubt his hope in the future when he made the attempt to become his own nation. It was during the time he started to think this was the end of him and his whole world would fall apart. He learnt this song from four men who helped him gain independence and grow in a the country he was before the fall. Hearing this song... it surprised him how effective it still was.

"Raise a glass to freedom." Alfred looked up at Francis and Matthew, a very small smile on his lips as he joined along. "Something they can never take away. No matter what they tell you."

The Canadian chuckled, raising his fruit cup. "Raise a glass to us." He kept out the original lyrics (raise a glass to the four of us) out of cautiousness and care for Alfred since there was four people in the room but, living wise, there were three. Fortunately, Alfred didn't catch on and laughed at the raising of the fruit cup.

"Tomorrow there'll be more of us!" Alfred added on, his voice now coated in his signature cheerfulness that was genuine. "Telling the story of tonight."

"Raise a glass to freedom." Matthew and Francis echoed, bright smiles plastered on all three of their faces. Alfred sung after them, singing once again the 'they'll tell the story of tonight.'

It was silly how a simple song could effect the entire mood of those around. A little string of melodies and lyrics that can alternate the emotions of those who hear it- especially if they contribute to it. Just a moment ago, Alfred was wallowing and miserable whilst Matthew cleaned out his backpack silently in his own dullness and Francis studying them sadly. Everything about the room was depressing and no shed of happy light could be found. However, using the old trick of a song, that all changed. And, for a moment, Francis saw the happy boys he once knew...

Alfred giggled, feeling his chest lighten with joy. He opened his mouth to sing the last part of the song, but was cut off when someone else finished it-

"Raise a glass to freedom... They'll tell the story of tonight."

No American sang that nor did any Canadian or Frenchman. The tune was sung out in a soft British accent that was just barely above a whisper. Alfred felt his eyes widen and well up with tears as a hand carefully squeezed his own. That hand that was lifeless ever since he awoke was now returning his never ending hold. Was it... true? At first he thought he was hallucinating, but it was clear Francis and Matthew both heard what he heard.

With hope, Alfred looked down beside him, his lips quivering in a shaky smile when he saw two soft, green eyes staring up at him.

"A-Arthur!"

_______________________________________________________

Author's Note:

There is another chapter I'll post later today or tomorrow connecting to this. So, this is a part one of one portion of their story.

Please leave your feedback in the comments/reviews! I love reading them and they help me continue writing.