Part 8

We soon left the convenience store and headed on back to Rae's house. Rae gracefully drove the truck through the winding two-lane road, his hand on the gearshift lever ready to bring down the gears if need be. Since there was less traffic as we got to his house, without warning he pulled over, got out, and began to walk to where I was sitting, all the while the truck was still running.

"Scoot over. You're driving." He says, opening the door, and gave the biggest smile.

"But I don't know-" He gave me a gentle shove towards the driver's seat. I had to flip up the center console so I could scoot over to the driver's seat, without kicking the shifter.

"Oh, you're going to learn." I did as I was told, and finally, I was in the driver's seat. He then leaned over, and without saying anything he pulled off my shirt...

 He then leaned over, and without saying anything he pulled off my shirt

He then threw my shirt behind the seat he was sitting in.

I wasn't in any decent shape, I had a little stomach bulge as I sit here, and I was very nervous about driving in this truck. I didn't want to break anything.

"Suck in your stomach," I heard Rae's voice, as he ran his rough, calloused hand over my abdomen. I did as I was told again, and sucked in my stomach. Rae's eyes grew, and I knew he liked what he was seeing.

"I knew you had it in you. You just need to work on it some more," he says, as I felt his fingers run over the ridges of my stomach, and I looked down. I did have some hints of a washboard abs, considering all I did was sit around, watch TV and eat large amounts of junk food, unless it was weekends, that is a different story. 

Soon, he started placing my hands like that model above, and I was shocked at how big my arms really were, considering I never lifted any weights. I wasn't a bodybuilder, nor do I have aspirations of becoming one. I have said I was one of the lucky ones who somehow stayed like this. Rae leaned some more, to get a good look at me from the front, then he eyed me up and down. He was really skinny, so he fit between the steering wheel and me perfectly, actually, we both are, and we still had a considerable gap between us.

"You really are skinny. Your shoulders are much narrower than the seat you're sitting in." And to prove he wasn't lying, he places his hands on the seat and my shoulders, as if to measure my width how much I took up.

"See, you're skinny." He says. A car passed us, and I saw its brake lights come on, and came to a stop.

"Look at all those muscles." Rae says, squeezing my arms, and began tracing his finger along my forearm, at the hint of my vein, that at times, I could barely make out. He started from my elbow, and traced it down close to my hand. Soon the person approached the truck.

"Evening, boys. Nice evening for a make-out party is it?" he asked. Rae only glared at him. "So, need any help? Wow, your driver there is so cute... Did you find him at the beach?"

"He's mine!" Rae barked, then wrapped his arms around my head, putting my head next to his chest, and I could hear his heart beat elevate.

"Both of you are just even cuter. Especially that naked one. Look at all those muscles. High school romance between the hottest boys, in an old pickup truck. Going out for a Saturday drive." he continues, clearly ignoring Rae's hot stare.

"Just leave us alone. We're fine." Rae says, his teeth were clenched. He was clearly annoyed by this strange encounter.

"Okay, okay, geez. You don't have to get so uppity about it. I just wanted to see if you needed help was all." He turned away, back to his car, and from the looks of it, he was slightly hurt by Rae's harsh comments. With that out of the way, we returned to the "problem" at hand; trying to drive Rae's truck.

"Put your hand on this stick, and your left foot on the pedal," He guided me through all the steps. "And now, just ease off the left pedal there. Ease it. Eas--" The truck suddenly shut off, jerking both our heads in the process.

"Whoops, my bad," was all he said. 

Do kids still say that in this day and age? I thought. With Rae's soothing guides, I press in the clutch again, and started the truck, making sure the transmission was in the middle, and wasn't engaged in any of the gears.

"Let go of that brake there, and we should set off." I pulled the brake release, and felt the truck go backwards. I quickly step on the regular brake, and slowly eased off the clutch.

"Now put it in first-" He then places his hand on top of my hand, and felt him move my hand as we placed the shifter in first. "Now, give it some gas, little bit, not too much," I pressed down a bit too hard, then slowly...

"Release the clutch, give it some more fuel... Hey! We're moving! You're finally getting it!" Rae was enthusiastic again. "Don't lose it thought. Don't lose it. Now shift! Clutch in!" As I pressed down on the clutch again, I heard the engine race.

"Foot off, clutch in, shift, foot back on gas," He says, as he guided my hand to the next higher gear. I couldn't believe it. We're moving. I never learned how to drive these things, or cared for them. Though the gearshift felt very heavy, and slow, we got moving. Rae just looked at me the entire trip back to his house.

"From here on out, its straight forward. But when you want to slow down, just slow, and bring it down to a lower gear. Like we're about to come back to my driveway, now." I take my foot off the accelerator, noting the engine had a whistle as we slowed to a stop.

"Take it out of gear, and slow it down... Rev match it! Don't lose it..." I downshifted too early, our heads jerked once more, the tires squealed, and the engine revved all the way past the "3" mark, and huge amounts of black smoke poured out from the rear when I looked in the mirror. Rae quickly brought it out of gear so we could bring the truck to a reasonable speed, before I was able to finally match the gear to the speed we going at. Now we were in first gear, I pulled up to his house, but he told me to park it out back, where we first saw it when Tristan and I first came. We did, and I put the brake in, took the truck out of gear, and turned it off. Rae was beaming at me when I turned to him.

"Not bad for our first try. But now, I want you to come over, this is our lesson and from now on, I want you to learn how to drive this." He says, digging out my shirt from behind the seats. But before he gave me my shirt back, he said,

"From now on, you're not wearing any shirts when you're driving with me. I want to see your muscled goodness." With that, he handed me my shirt back, and he left. Dylan and Tristan soon met up with us. Tristan gave me a big hug, and blushed, as I tried to put on my shirt.

"What took you both so long?" Dylan asked. Rae simply thumbed back at me. 

"Ask him. We took a wrong turn. He was flashing off the whole time we were driving. And we attracted some guys along the way." He gave a sly smile, as he took his stuff we bought from the store earlier. "And we got these for free. Thanks to him." 

"Hey!" I called back, pulling down my shirt.

"Hey, you got a sexy body. Appreciate it. From now on, I want to see that body of yours." He handed me this giant 1 litre bottle of Coke. I was fine with a 12oz can or a 20oz bottle, but this was too big. But I knew he was now in love with me, since he had no one else.

Well, maybe except Sequoia.

I finally got to see Tristan's necklace, since he was now wearing it out of his shirt. It was his grandfather's dogtag, inscribed with everything about him. And it was hung on a long chain, too, that hung in front of his stomach. No wonder he won't let me see what he was wearing under his shirt. But I think it was conversation piece for Dylan. And next to the dogtags was a single cross, also with its separate chain. Tristan already knew I saw them, but nonetheless, he still tucked them under his shirt as we locked eyes. I could hear the metals clanging under there as he adjusted his shirt, and once he was done, the shirt had slid down one shoulder again.