Part 32

"This one will do here." I guide Elias into Pine's Market parking lot, which was empty and devoid of shoppers. He put the truck in Park, and gave me the saddest puppy eyes a teenager can give, as if though he wanted to cry. I ran my fingers through my hair, and took a deep breath.

"Thanks. I had fun. But my friends will get a bit jealous if they see me with you."

"I understand. They're like that with me as well."

"What?! Not even with Kira?"

"Oh, Kira's mad right now. He got jealous when he saw us. He's the jealous type. He wanted you all to himself."

"Wait until next year. Imagine who will get jealous with one another at that school." Elias laughed. The drama was already big in that school. I can't imagine how bad, or worse, it will become next year. I get out of Elias' truck for the last time.

"Well, thanks again. I had fun." I closed the door, and at the same time, he opened the passenger window.

"Thanks to you. I had the most fun." He smiled. I returned his smile. He got out of the truck from the driver's side, walked around the Yukon, and hugged me. The tightest hug he can give me, with his skinny arms. I returned his hug as equally, then he sniffed, clearly trying to hold back his tears.

"See you next year. But I'll miss you in the meantime, though. Keep in touch, and I'll do the same." He wiped his eyes, then got back in his truck, put it in reverse, and waved for the final time, before looking to reverse. Soon, he disappeared, still waving his hand, as he disappeared through the thick trees, and back to the city below. After a while, all I heard was a gentle breeze blowing through the forest, and the sun trying to heat the open spaces in Pine's Market parking lot and the Shell. I start to walk home when a silver car approaches me from the high school direction. I squint, trying to figure out the brand, until it came closer. 

It was a Honda. Tristan's mom and my mom are the only ones with Japanese cars in this town. A Honda and a Toyota, respectively.

Immediately, I recognized it was Tristan's car. He stopped next to me.

"Hey, want a ride?" I carefully climbed in, navigating my tall, lean body into his car, and smiled at him as I took my seat.

"I missed you. Where were you? Are you having fun without me?" he asked, like a girlfriend scrutinizing her date and her whereabouts. I then heard a gasp, and the screeching of tires. My head jerked, and since I wasn't buckled in yet, I almost hit my head against the front windshield, and almost slid off the front seat to the dash. Luckily, he was only going somewhere in the ballpark of 15 MPH. He grabbed my face, squishing my cheeks between his hands in the process, and looked me over.

"You look so hot! What happened to my Elliot?" he asked, running his hands over my face, and my thick hair.

"Your face changed. And-and you're so skinny! A-and so tall! Look at that stomach! It's so flat! I haven't seen your hair like this since sophomore!" Tristan kept rambling on about how I looked. But I felt happy for him. And it did take a few seconds for him to recognize me. We hugged and kissed each other in the car, until we felt it move forward slightly.