Part 25

The reviews for the upcoming midterm exam week are now finished, and the teachers all told us it was up to all us students if we were to pass the midterm exams. The review sessions were long, but somehow, I managed to learn it all, and I was excited, anxious, and scared, at the same time, about passing these midterm exams.

I had butterflies in my stomach the entire time I was in calculus class, as the teacher in there was simply explaining the lessons in a quick, rapid succession, and I don't think I was the only one in there that's barely keeping up in that class.

My mom's the one who worries about my grades, moreso than my dad. Especially my math and biology classes. When she was my age she passed those courses, and wanted me to do the same. Her highest math class; surprise, surprise, was calculus, and in the sciences, physics. But she has admitted she wasn't as strong in English, just like Sequoia, and constantly needed help in that subject. My dad was also an ace in math; that's why he's so good with measurements, and rarely messed anything up in his electrical field, and his plumbing business. Only thing he pestered me was to do something dirty... Trade work, he meant. Like fixing cars, repairing toilets, doing construction work, becoming an apprentice for electricians, all that sort of thing. I just told him I'll think about it. But I knew where I was going...

Either it would be welding, or auto repair...

No way I was going to mess with toilets...

Tristan took me home, in his mom's Honda once more, and as always, other kids always looked at us. Most of them thought we were going out, as we're always together, even after school, since Ash went home early to start studying. He wanted Tristan as his study buddy, but I think Tristan wanted to study with me.

"Friday, at last." Tristan says, yanking the gearshift lever to 'D', and drives out of the school parking lot, as we file out with the other kids getting out to the road.

"Yep, Friday at last." I echoed back, and he smiled, before giving the road his attention once more. Finally, it was our turn to get on the road, and he turned to the right, back to our homes, and he didn't feel like going to the store. Not today anyways. We passed Ash's house, his car's parked at the driveway, but not his parents' truck. 

Probably out on the town again. I thought, looking straight at the road once more. Past Ash's house, and Tristan lives a little bit farther. His house is far flung from the rest of the village, and the only one in the forest, but he lives out in the open, near a small meadow and a hidden lake that's not visible from the road. Then lastly, mines. 

Tristan carefully guided his car into my driveway, that a lot of trucks use to turn around. As always, my parents weren't home, and I have to find the key to the lock again. It's getting kind of old doing that, but that's the only way for me to get into my house.

It's not like we have robbers or anything like that...

"Let's have a study at my house later this weekend." Tristan says, leaning over the console, and looking at me intently.

"And, maybe, we'll do something, like soon after." Tristan finally says, then gave me a wink, and smiled once more. I returned his smile, before leaving his car, to go back to my house. I waved at him, before he left my driveway, and went back to his house.

I stayed in my room, the clock radio quietly playing in the background as I studied for my midterms. Tristan invited me over to his house for a little study session he had set aside for Sunday. I agreed, since we almost have the same classes, even though they were different times. He also wanted to invite Shaun over to his house, but he lived in the city, and it would be too much for him to drive up here, even if just for one day.