Part 20

"Can you help me with my English homework?"

What the hell was that? I have often heard around the school she was the smartest girl that transferred to our school, from Los Angeles, of all places. And she decided to come to our school? 

Hmmm. Maybe she really wants to get to you...

Or, maybe, she might really have a crush on you, after all... 

I shook my head once more. Oh, come on. She just moved here, and she hardly knows me, much less seen me around school. 

And we have different lunch schedules. Mines is in the second group in lunch, and she's the very last. The third lunch period.

I kind of felt bad for her, seeing that she was put in there, along with, what others say about that lunch group; the unpopular, nerds, pretty much people who had bad intentions, or like Sequoia, was unfortunate to be put in there, due to her class schedule.

And the constant fights that break out during that lunch period. Not that the first or even the second period lunch sees any fights. Even my lunch period sees its shares of fights as well, just not as bad as the first, and especially the last period. 

I tapped on my homework, looking at the complex calculus sheet sitting in front of my desk, some of the problems had been solved, only the hardest problems were still empty, as if waiting for me to solve their complex problems, like a cursor on the computer screen.

I tilted my chair back, stretched my arms. I must say, I did have one of the most good-looking arms I have for someone who doesn't do any weight training. I pulled on my homework once more and before I knew it, it was finally midnight...

**************************************

At school the next morning there was a small crowd gathered at the entrance of the school. I walked past the crowds as I made my way into the commons area, before grabbing a seat away from the stairs. Soon Rae walked over, and he too, grabbed a seat, followed by Ash.

Outside, it was lightly sprinkling, and overall, the sky was a gray overcast.

"What the heck's going on over there? Sounds like chickens clucking over roosters over there." Ash thumbed behind him.

"I think that's the photography club over there. See, there's Elijah. The club leader." I turned, and it was the kid with the hair, who was staring intently at me back in math class. He was talking, but Ash, Rae and I had nothing of interest with the picture, and we brushed it off, thinking nothing of it.

We delved into our studies, as Rae leaned closer next to me, until he laid his head on my left shoulder.

"Look. The mystery girl has arrived, and is gracing our school again." Ash says, and we all look to see who Ash is talking about.

I turned in time to see Sequoia, making her way to the picture, and to the group of kids where they were standing. She stretched her already long, graceful neck, trying to catch a glimpse of the hidden details within the picture, as if in competition with the other kids looking at that mysterious photo. An air of mystery surrounded the photograph, as if it held a secret that was waiting to be discovered. My attention was drawn to Sequoia, and as she strained her neck some more, her shirt strap slipped down her bicep, and my heart began pounding. 

She was in another spaghetti strap shirt, but this one showed even more of her chest, as this one was more of a square cut. No necklace today, though, but she still looked absolutely stunning, even without the distracting chain resting on top of her chest. The strap still rested next to her shoulder, threatening to get caught in the crook of her elbow once more, but she made no effort to move it back onto her shoulder, as she still looked at the picture.