Part 28

Tuesday

"Get dressed Elliot. We're going to go truck shopping." My mom called downstairs, while I heard the rustling sounds coming from my parents' room. Today was the day my dad finally traded in that white 2008 Chevy truck he had been beating on for the last 5 years for his small business, and it was also beginning to die on him as well, since it has over 640,000 miles on it.

Aw crap! I forgot to give my mom the laundry, since I was on spring break. After my usual shower routine, I dug around my room, hoping to find something clean to wear. I only managed to find an old skateboarding shirt I once wore back in middle school, and with my luck, I might be able to fit into it, unlike Tristan, who can fit into his old clothes even though he is slightly taller than me, has more muscles, and is skinnier than I am, even though my parents hated to see me skinny.

I left my room, in my long-sleeved Element shirt I haven't worn about since 7th grade, and my hoodie over my long-sleeved shirt. The TV was on, so I grabbed the remote, aimed it at the TV, and turned it off, before going outside, to join my dad. 

And this is what greeted me when I got outside to look at the reflection on my parents' house window...

Imagine my shock as I actually recoiled in horror at first, then slowly walked back to the window, placing my hands on the glass

My hair had grown back! And despite my shower, it was still messy. Last time I looked like this was back in freshman and my later sophomore years!

Whoa! When's the last time I got a haircut? I guess I hadn't noticed how heavy my head felt since that day we worked on Daniel's truck. Nonetheless, I just left it as it is. I took a double take once more back to the window, and noticed I had lost quite a bit of weight. My hand ran up and down my now slender, long neck, and my shoulders were even more angled, and slightly narrow. My shirt disappeared under my hoodie, so that it looked like I was wearing nothing under there, just my neck poking out of my hoodie. It was only two days into spring break, and for some reason, I felt taller. 

And lighter.

And for some reason, it felt colder again... even though I was wearing a hoodie over a long-sleeved shirt.

Behind me, I could hear my dad grinding his starter as he tried to get his truck to start, and the sounds getting lower with each crank he did. It finally died on the fifth crank, followed by clicks, and I could hear him shouting obscenities, followed by the sound of a tire being kicked. Remembering what Rae had taught me, I connected the battery leads to both his truck and with mom's permission, her Toyota, even though dad plugged the cables already to both vehicle batteries, and started the Toyota. He started the Chevy finally, and gave it a mean throttle as he floored the accelerator pedal for a few seconds. Even with the noise he was making, it never smoked, just the puffy white one, before clearing.

I noticed I have actually gotten taller now, and I was in need of new clothes...

"You've finally gotten a growth spurt, son." My dad tells me, as he's making his way up the porch steps, then patted my messy hair, before squeezing my right shoulder. This time, he didn't object to my hair. He seemed to... like my new look... He licked his lips, but I guess that's how fathers are, seeing their boys getting taller, and older...