Part 34

Friday

It was almost the end of our break, and I haven't gone out to buy some clothes. My dad was finally happy driving his "new" truck into town for work once more. It was something more reliable now, even though this truck only had 168,000 miles on it. I got my laundry out of the house, carefully navigating down the stairs as I carried the basket in front of me, to my truck.

We piled our laundry into the tiny back seat of my truck, since my mom wanted to drive it.

"I wish your father was a little more considerate with his purchases sometimes. But we know how he likes things a little bit cheap." My mom says, putting the driver seat back in its position.

"But it's okay. He hates car payments, and besides, I'm a little bit surprised he actually built this house himself."

"He did a fine job with it." My mom reached up and ruffled my hair, as best she could, before going back in the house. I got the keys, and started the ol' Chevy 5.7L/350 V8, just to hear how it sounded, and to get it ready. This is the first time it has ever been taken out and used since the day I bought it. Since my mom probably didn't anything else in terms of helping, I popped the hood, and just stood there, marveling at the engine. It didn't shake, almost no vibrations were  present, and just pretty much "purred like a kitten", like they say.

 It didn't shake, almost no vibrations were  present, and just pretty much "purred like a kitten", like they say

Since I was now taller, I leaned over the front of the truck even more. Despite getting some bit of dust, I knew it had been worked on at some point, seeing how clean it was.

"Ready?" my mom asked.

"Yeah." I say, and closed the hood down. We got in, and my mom had never drove these things before. It was very different than being in her Toyota. She has never drove dad's truck before either, and she's not any better driving a stick shift too.

"How do I-oh, ok. Right here." She pulled down the column lever too quickly, then slamming it back to the "P", before adjusting to the "R" slowly, and carefully backed the truck, before just stopping.

"I'll let you drive. Since you know the town anyway, and where the laundry is. And your father's been teaching you really good driving in town." My mom got out, and I quickly slid to the driver's seat, since she didn't park it, and it began to roll back a little. I put it in "Park", so my mom could get in, grabbing the passenger side entrance handle, and set down in the seat. I belted myself, and going by tactile feeling, I put my truck in "Drive" without even looking down at the dash, and we left the house.

"How many miles does this have on there? It's so clean for an old vehicle." I quickly looked down at the miles, since she hates seeing me take my eyes off the road.

"It has around 205,450 miles." I tell her, averting my eyes back on the road as quickly as I looked down. She took a look for herself.

"It's a 98, is it? It's almost 20 years old. I thought these trucks went off the road a long time ago."