Part 13

Rae gets jealous when he saw you with that girl. Tristan's voice echoed in my head, as I sat down and prepared for calculus. I'd be careful if I were you.

I'd be careful if I were you....

I laid out my stuff on my desk, put my bag on the floor, and took my seat. Out of the corner of my eye I noticed another boy looking my way. But if I got ready to look, he stared in another direction, but this time, our eyes locked. He didn't look away as usual. But he did blush, then he turned away, and began playing with his hair as he looked ahead of the room, at the white board...

 But he did blush, then he turned away, and began playing with his hair as he looked ahead of the room, at the white board

When I looked to the whiteboard again I could see he was staring at me through my peripheral vision to my right. But just to make sure he was looking at someone I turned to see what he was looking at, then back to the board. At the corner of my eye he made this sign, pointing at his eyes, then to me, clearly he was interested in me.

Like I said before, I'm not the luckiest catch with anyone, and I think he's just sort of pranking me, or something like that...

With everyone now in their seats before the warning bell rang the lights went off, then the overhead projector projected its light to the whiteboard.

Now is the time to take some serious notes. I told myself, but the room was dim, and I could barely see what I was writing in that room. The teacher gave his lecture, which felt like it took a long time to soak in. I gotta admit this math teacher is very hot, and very young-looking, for his age.

He's almost in his 40's, but to an untrained eye, if he got his tray at lunch and sat down with us, he could easily blend in

He's almost in his 40's, but to an untrained eye, if he got his tray at lunch and sat down with us, he could easily blend in. He's muscular despite his very thin, high-school-student-like frame (some say he weighs only 125 lbs, even though he's 6 feet), and he's very popular with the girls here. Even some guys do fall for the guy as well. Almost all the teachers are hot, especially the male ones like this guy. Must be the reason kids are transferring to this school, as even the kids are quite good-looking, and skinny, here as well. For obvious reasons, he's also the junior class sponsor, making everyone think he's also a student of this school as well.

I love his first name; Luca. But everyone calls him "Luke".

I think I found the reason why I wasn't doing great in calculus; this guy's too "distracting." He's too good-looking to be a teacher, and his biceps were a bit bigger as he held the iPad. I could barely take my eyes off of him as he wandered about the room talking about derivatives and identity properties...

Just out of curiosity I turned to the boy who was staring at me before. He was fully concentrated, his pencil to his chin, and when he took notes, he was fully immersed in his studies.

Now, if we wanted to cancel this "X" out, this derivative here...

dy over dx factors out to...

Despite the explanations the teacher was giving out I was still a bit lost.

Or his looks might be a bit distracting. He's hot, after all... His arm muscles, despite him having a body like that of a skinny high school boy, they were well defined even though he has thin arms...

And, he's small for his age... Not like height-wise, but more like high school boy small... He's tall, though.

Stupid guidance counselor! I thought to myself, and at the same time, trying to get Luca's body out of my mind. 

Oh, you'll love calculus. It'll be fun. I thought it was at first. As I was taking notes my mind began to wander, if Sequoia really is a student here, and what of her classes. Meanwhile the kid was still concentrating on his notes, scribbling at what the teacher was saying.

He'll pass this class like nothing... I thought sadly. He began twirling his pencil between his fingers, while he was fully concentrated to the teacher's flowing words as he wrote from his iPad, then transferred the image to the projector. I remember in middle school one of my classes had one of these old school projectors that the teacher had to write onto this clear sheet, and a pull-down canvas that covered the chalkboard. Even in this day and age the middle school was still using the chalkboard, and teachers still presented in front of the class, like they did back in the old days. I was the only one able to handle the chalkboard dust, so most teachers sent me outside to clap the erasers together, making me miss my lessons in the process.

Meanwhile the English class used this "smartboard" that the teacher used, and that he barely had to get up to teach the class, since it was projected from his MacBook at his desk. The image of his desktop was done in a "virtualbox" machine so that no one will see his actual desktop screen. At least in History we actually get to watch movies from these vintage movie reels, to experience what life was like pre-1950, along with this big RCA TV and VCR that were on this rolling cart, like what we had back in grade school, to experience 90's life, and we still used the old-fashioned projector as well, alongside the modern one like this class has, though it rarely saw use. Just the old fashioned one is used a lot. Even though kids have their own laptops, in History, the laptops are wheeled in in these big carts as well. But the school required that students use these laptops that resemble a tablet with a keyboard attached, which made sense considering the desks were tiny. Biology and English were similar, so nothing special there.

I had often heard the Art and Woodshop classes is where the stuff is. Both have these tablets that were mounted in the table, and in Woodshop, you have to draft out your plans on that tablet before you get an approval from that teacher. And in Rae's Auto Shop the learning is done in an actual garage in the school's maintenance yard, the "bus barn," alongside the college kids that come from the city, and the teacher/instructor there is the shop's foreman. 

There was this buzz that, for next year, they were planning to add a Drafting/CAD program to this school, and it would combine Woodshop, Welding and Art to that class. We were now looking like a private school with all the goodies. And I had to admit, good-looking kids too.

Next year, I couldn't wait to take Auto Shop and Welding, since these classes are mainly reserved for the juniors and seniors. Driver's Ed is mainly reserved for sophomores on up, while Automotive Technology can be for all grades, and is also taught in the Auto Shop, by one of the bus drivers. 

Tristan and I are in that class, but in separate periods. All they talk about in that class is the fundamentals of automotive technology, tools, working safely in the shop/housekeeping. Not so much hands on, just the use of this Snap-On diagnostic scanner tablet is as close you can get to hands on, since most of the vehicles in there are 1996 or newer, except the groundskeeper's 1994 Suburban, and there is a final exam on the OBDII codes and its related terminology, and front suspension and brakes of a 2017 Dodge 2500 4x4 diesel. The mid-terms cover the front suspension and brakes of a 1996 Chevy K2500. 

I'm starting to get jealous at Tristan learning faster in Automotive Technology than I am, and someone had told me that some of the boys in that class ogle over him, especially from the Auto Shop class.

And just like that, the bell rang. Everyone gathered their stuff and began to file out of the room. The teacher gave out a new assignment that was due Friday. As I was packing my stuff away I noticed the kid was slowly packing his stuff away, but he didn't look at me. I quickly threw my stuff in my bag and made out within the crowds to my next class.