Part 39

A new week has started, and all of us are gathered in the gym for assembly. The principal went over some things, now that spring is in the air, and that meant testing. Lots of testing. Especially for the freshmen class. Sophomores, juniors, and seniors are exempt from testing, if they passed all the requirements from freshman, but there was a catch. Sophomores had the easy one; English. Juniors had to take a math and English portion, along with another essay portion, and seniors had to take History, English and Math proficiency tests in order to get their diplomas and graduate. And classes were canceled depending on the grades, since the freshman testing almost took a week to complete, and sophomores did their English. Juniors take theirs until May, and seniors follow behind the freshman.

For the Freshman they had Science, History, Math, and English, a big essay writing, and a required career path evaluation. Seniors also get that same career path evaluation in May, before graduation, and its a requirement.

ACT and SAT are part of that testing if college is an option, and its for seniors. Juniors have that option, and the principal and the guidance counselors all encouraged us to take those tests as well. And seniors in the ROTC class take the ASVAB test.

And for seniors, their big day is fast approaching; graduation. They had to put in their caps and gowns orders before the middle of April, with their respective counselors, and put down a deposit. I looked at Tristan, and he had a single tear roll down his cheek, and he looked ready to cry, all the while he looked forward at the gym. We only had one more year of high school, then we part our ways. I soon felt a lump in my throat form.

And I don't know how long Zack and Jesse are going to be out of school, since their upcoming testing week follows after the freshman, and if they don't pass, they don't graduate. 

Ryo tapped my shoulder, and pointed to a boy who was looking my way. It was the kid from my Calculus class. He did the same thing he did back in class, before looking forward at the gym. I don't know how he picked me out of these hundreds of kids in a nearly packed gym, that got it's start of only handling 30 kids. It's now 200+! I couldn't even find Sequoia in all this crowd! Or for that matter, Dylan. Ash, Rae, and Ryo sat behind Tristan and I, while Shaun sat in front of us, and we sat at the middle part of the bleachers, on the raised platform. Shaun took ahold of my arm and let me rest them on his shoulders, so that I leaned forward over him, on his muscular shoulders.

Soon, they talked about the two students, and that this is the first time in the school's history that they had to be suspended over a fight. Not like that last one where someone supposedly brought a gun to school, but I guess that's a false alarm because it was actually an impact wrench a student brought for Auto Shop. But they said it's not unusual since trade kids always brought their tools from home, but they had to be careful with them, and keep them locked. 

It's actually rare here that kids steal from one another, or from the teacher. Unlike some schools where some of these kids tell horror stories about.

And now, the principal's talking once more to the seniors, before handing the mic to the senior counselors, who is now telling them to get started on their graduation packets, and their school souvenirs. 

Finally, before they close, they told us the spring dance and prom are also coming up, and juniors and seniors are encouraged to help set up for the upcoming events. Actually, anyone can help, especially for the upcoming spring dance.

Didn't I say I couldn't pick out any student? I actually saw Kazuya, and Kim. Kazuya, in a corner, surrounded by kids mostly older than him, and Kim, surrounded by girls. Kazuya simply looked ahead at the gym floor, as if though he didn't want to be bothered with, while Kim flirted with the girls who sat around him. Two of the seniors threw their wadded up paper balls at Kazuya, who just seemed to take it all in stride, but it only made the boys seemed agitated that he took it like a champ.