Chapter 3

Robert's laughter filled Jimmy's ears as he woke up. He turned to his right to see that he was laughing at Bonzo. He had fallen asleep and was now drooling on himself. This brought a smile to Jimmy's face. "You excited to be home?" Jonesy asked. Jimmy turned his head again, looking at the bassist. "Certainly," He groaned, "I can't wait to sleep in my own bed." Jonesy laughed, nodding in agreeance. He could just feel the soft sheets and the warm blankets now.

Of course their grind wasn't over yet. They had a few photoshoots back home. They wouldn't be for a couple weeks though. 

As the plane got closer and closer to the landing strip, Jimmy could feel his nerves growing. The breakneck schedule was a lot for him, but it kept him busy. When it got quiet was the problem. Back home, it was safe, it was familiar. But it was so quiet. There was no work, nothing to distract him. He felt himself sinking deeper and deeper into a depression without a tour to occupy him. The seclusion wasn't the issue. He loved to be alone. Craved it, even. The dichotomy between being on and off stage was hard for him to handle. He went from being worshiped like a god and feeling on top of the world to being quiet and alone. 

He looked at his bandmates as the plane touched the ground. They were all wore the same tired yet accomplished look. The four of them just embarked on the best tour any of them had been on. Jimmy, being the oldest and most experienced, had never felt better. He had other tours to compare to. At least he hadn't fallen ill this time. He recalled the deathly feeling of glandular fever. 

A smile graced his face when he looked at them. He felt such a deep connection to them. A synergy he hadn't felt with anyone before. This was his element. These were his people. Robert was like the sun to him. He could pick him up on his worst day. Maybe this was his Leo nature. Jonesy was a constant. They were both Capricorns, and they could relate on needing routine and consistency. Bonzo was always a good time. He felt great when he played off him. They understood each other in a unique way. 

A hollow feeling blew through Jimmy's chest as they walked down the plane aisle. He had hoped he would hear from the guys while they were on a break. He grabbed his luggage and loaded it into the car. He sat in the passenger seat, greeting his mother. The other guys were going home with their wives and children. Jimmy, while being the oldest of them, was still a bachelor. Sure, he had girlfriends in the past. But ultimately they were upset by his lack of commitment to them. He was always chasing something.

He finally felt like he got close to catching it this time. It was on stage that he could feel what he'd been looking for. The feeling of playing their songs was addicting. Nerves churned in his gut before every show. Right at the climax when he walked onto stage, his blood was pumping quickly. His body was running on all cylinders. He could feel the floorboards pounding. He could hear the crowd's excitement. And when he picked up his guitar, he could feel lightening in his fingertips. This was the high. This was the feeling he had been chasing since the first time he picked up a guitar. It just felt so right. The ability to touch people with his music was the most important thing in his life. He knew from the first moment he played with the guys, this was going to be his life. He decided then and there to put everything into Zeppelin. That meant playing until his fingers were numb or not his family or partner for days on end. Sometimes it meant not eating or sleeping until he had the song down perfect. For better or worse, he was happier than he had ever been. 

His mother stayed for a little while. They chatted about his tour and shared some tea. His home was barren, with little food in the cupboards. This was on account of being gone for the better half of a year. She asked him if he met any girls, and he said no. She was always asking him when he was going to settle down. She was very supportive of his aspirations, but still expected him to have a family. It's what he wanted too, just right now. "I'm in no rush. I'm only 25. When I find the right person, it'll happen." He said. "I know. I just-I worry about you up here by yourself. I want you to find a girl to make you happy and takes care of you. You are thinking about women, right?" She looked nervous. "Yes, Mum. I'm thinking about women," He fought back a laugh, "I can also take care of myself. I know how to cook and clean. I don't need a woman to take care of me." His words didn't shake the look off her face. She was unsure, still filled with worry about his wellbeing. 

After she left, Jimmy unpacked his luggage. While his laundry was going, he went out to do some grocery shopping. He thought it would be nice to make himself a meal tonight. When he returned home, he put all of his things away and finished his laundry. After these tasks were done, he sat at his kitchen table. He looked down at his hands. He saw the callouses that had formed on his fingertips. He felt a sudden urge to write. He could hear the melody in his head. He quickly stood from the table and made his way to the music room. He picked up the guitar and began banging away at the strings.  

He had never written a better piece. It was perfect. It was a mix of blues and modern rock. When it was over, he sat and wrote down the lines. He didn't want to forget it. He practically skipped down the hall into the kitchen. He sat at the white table with an inextinguishable grin. This is the magic he couldn't deny. Writing a good song was a feeling like no other. He could rival god in that moment. 

He heard a rumbling from his stomach. 

I haven't eaten in hours. I should make dinner. 

After his meal was finished and his dishes were washed, he finally retired to bed. Day one of being home was finished. As he closed his eyes, he could hear the familiar call from Gwen. A broad smile painted his face. Her sweet song was playing in his head. It was as if he was already dreaming. He didn't even need to be asleep to receive her bliss. 

-

Sun shone through the large window next to his bed, retrieving him from his sleep. He wiped dried drool from his face and sat up. He blinked sleep from his eyes, looking around his room. He didn't know what he was going to do that day. Hopefully inspiration would strike. 

It had been midday and Jimmy still hadn't done anything. He had been laying around the house, trying desperately to put his attention on something. It just wasn't working. When he finally sulked to the music room, he sat in the middle of the room. He sighed heavily, not feeling anything. He picked up the guitar, strumming a little. 

He played the opening chords to a song he and Jonesy played sometimes. When this didn't fill him with the same spark it usually did, he became frustrated. He groaned and threw the guitar onto the couch. He slumped down next to it and closed his eyes. Maybe Gwen would give him something to do. Maybe she would inspire him. 

Capricorn Season - Jimmy PageOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara