Chapter 9

"We have practice today." Those were the first words Gwen heard. 

"Mmm...okay." She rolled over in an attempt to relieve the sun shining in her eyes. 

"You said you wanted to make a nice little spread for everyone. If you want to accomplish that, you need to get up soon." He pushed the curtains open. Large beams burst into the room. The walls were painted with light. "I'm up!" She groaned, tossing a pillow in his direction. "If you break my new lamp I'm sending you straight to hell!" He flung the pillow back onto the bed. 

-

A knock on the door interrupted her last-minute preparations. 

Whomever it is, they're early. 

When she opened the door she was greeted by John Paul Jones. He was holding his bass, sans case, in one hand. "You're not James." He commented. 

Her laugh flowed through the air. "No, I'm not," She paused to let him in, "But he's here somewhere." 

She took notice of John for the first time. Sure, she'd had conversations with him, but never really saw him. His hair was light brown and thick. A side bang sat over the right side of his face. His beauty was understated and more subtle than Jimmy's. He was strikingly beautiful in a masculine sense.

"Always nice to see you." He gave a short bow after his polite words. "The others aren't here yet, but I'm sure you know that," Gwen laughed, "But you can have a seat in the living room and get something to eat from the kitchen if you'd like."

He enjoyed her presence; she was the nicest girl Jimmy kept around. And seemed to make him happy. Which John appreciated. Seeing his friends happy was always a lovely sight. She attempted to talk to him and appeal to what he liked. Not many people were sociable in a way that he could keep up with. She was breezy and refreshing.

Her hair was heavy and long, trailing down her shoulders and back. It was a lovely auburn color, John noticed. The sun shining through the windows illuminated the copper tones he hadn't seen before. Thick bangs sat over her eyes. He took notice of their appearance. He hadn't noticed during their initial meeting, but they were a lovely shade of forest green. Her pupils were pushed wide to the edges of her lenses. 

She and old Jim had shared some flowers before he arrived. It must get his juices flowing. Her long limbs seemed to match Jimmy's; they are a lanky couple. If they have kids they're going to look like little spindly spiders.

"Where's Jim?"

"He's upstairs getting ready still. I didn't tell him you were here yet. I enjoy seeing him all embarrassed that we've caught him in the middle of his primping." They shared a laugh.

She couldn't help but notice the way his lips curled into a smile. His teeth were crooked and she found that cute. His laugh was a beautiful sound; one she wanted to hear more of. "While we wait for him, would you like me to keep you company? I was just about to have some tea." He took note of her friendly tone. She seemed to be in high spirits. "Oh, yes, that would be nice." He went on to tell her exactly what he thought. "You know, I think you're the nicest girl Jimmy has kept around. You're hospitable." She was taken back by his honesty.

"Thank you. I think you're the nicest out of all of his friends. Well, bandmates, I guess." A short laugh was shared between the two. Their words settled into a comfortable silence. The only sound to be heard was the clinking of teacups on the plates resting in their hands. She turned to catch a glimpse of admiration. Her gaze occupied the space under his brow. She took notice of the way his lids rested just above his irises'; he had sensual eyes.

His wife must be a lucky girl.

Their eyes connected and her face flushed with a blush. He had caught her! A knowing glance was shared.