Chapter 25 Part 2

In her fit of anxiety she accepted his apology. It now seemed to be empty, heavy handed. This would be on account of the conversation that sat before them now. It was a few days ago that Jimmy had given his omission of guilt. Things had progressed to be so much worse. It was like a snowball, rolling down a hill after an avalanche. It was picking up speed quickly, moving at an alarming rate. It was spiraling out of control and everyone in its path was in danger of getting hurt.

-

"Good morning!" She sang as she entered the doorway. She was greeted with an abnormal sight. Bonzo was already at the table, talking to Robert and Jonesy.

"Good morning." Robert mirrored her sing-song voice. He was always prepared for a musical.

"Robert left his mouthpiece in the hotel room, Jim. How about we start that tradition, eh?" Bonzo smiled and clapped him on the back. Jimmy looked pained hearing that comment. He knew he should say something but didn't want to make things hostile or awkward.

This was a regular occurrence. Bonzo would say something offhand and Jimmy would brush it off, prompting Gwen to do the same.

"He's just like that. You have to toughen up." He would say as he primped his hair in preparation for a show. She wore the same look she would always give him, one of disgust and muddled anger. She didn't like being the source of negativity and certainly didn't want to cause any problems with the band. So she did what he told her and ignored it. She shoved the feeling down and sat for her breakfast.

Jonesy was telling the group about the walk he went on last night. He recounted all of the details, the sights, sounds, and people. He went for a rare walk in the city, usually, he tried to find a quiet place in nature. It was beautiful to see the cityscape all lit up and lively. It was nice to see the noise but not be a part of it, just like on stage.

When this conversation split off, Robert talking over Jonesy, is when things went South. Jonesy turned to her and asked about the Sabbath show. He was very interested in her endeavors, seeing it as a poignant topic of conversation.

"I thought you were here to shoot us. If you're not shooting us, what are you doing here?" Another jab in her side. His lips curled around his sharpened teeth, canines like daggers and his tongue dripped with snark.

She just rolled her eyes and continued talking. "It was great. They really generate so much energy. It makes me excited about taking these photos! I can feel their passion and it really shows in the shots. William sent me a demo of some of the photos from the first shoot and they turned out awesome!"

"They can't be that good." His goal was to poke holes in her joy. He was a liquid poured over her glee, drying to make her into a porous and brittle figure.

"Bonzo." Robert gave him a quiet scold.

"What? We're all thinking it! How can you be here for us but shoot them?"

"Bonzo, stop," Robert started, "You've been picking at her all week. You've created this arbitrary feud and won't let up. Now you're the only one continuing it, she's clearly had enough."

"She's the one who started it!"

"And now you should end it. We're all sick of hearing it. If you have a problem with her, talk it out. Otherwise, please shut up."

"Fine."

It was ironic how small he could look. To millions of people, he was larger than life, a musical giant. Now he was tiny as a child, stomping, and sulking. He could be so immature. She couldn't believe his actions.

He walked away, looking petulant and angry. Gwen looked at Robert with gratitude. Malaise hung in the air for a moment. She knew this was not settled. They'd won the battle but the war raged on. "If I'd known he'd be so agreeable I would have said something earlier." Robert joked. Gwen gave a small laugh and continued with their previous conversation.