Chapter 13

"Darling, you look ravishing." My words echoed through the room as I stood in the doorway. She turned to look at me, dropping the hairbrush she was using before. 

"You're such a charmer." Her smile was warm. She continued to brush her face with various powders and pencils. I stood behind her and watched. A simple brown shimmer coated her lids. It looked nice in contrast with her skin and perfectly complimented her hair. Black rested on her lashes and lined her eyes, defining the almond shape. After a swipe of red lipstick, she was finished. 

Her eyes flashed to mine in the reflection of the mirror. "What do you think?" 

"You look much better than I do." 

She laughed at my jest, standing from her chair. "You're gonna have to move so I can finish getting dressed." My hands were on her shoulders, keeping her in place. "I want to look at you." I smirked, admiring her frame. Absoloutely beautiful. 

She stopped squirming for only a moment, allowing me to catch a real glimpse of her. She wore a black dress with a white collar, complete with a bow in the middle and ruffled lace on the sleeves. Her full lips were painted a deep color that made me ache to have them against mine. I wanted desperately to smudge her lipstick, to show everyone who she belonged to. 

"Okay?" 

Her gentle voice danced around me, settling into my hair before dissipating. 

"Okay." Words slipped from my mouth without notice. All I could focus on was her beautiful appearance. My view outside of her clouded, turning black as I settled into tunnel vision. I could feel new color coming to my face. 

"Move!" She was giggling now, shoving me from her way. I was forced into reality, leaving my cloud state. I was no longer floating in the space where only she existed. "I'm sorry." 

"You're being weird. Are you okay?" She slipped black boots onto her feet. 

"I'm feeling alright. A little nervous." 

"Well, you shouldn't be," She came closer to me now, her arms hung around my neck, clasped by her hands at my nape. "Because you're going to do amazing." Her voice was low as she hummed in my ear, finishing her performance with a trail of kisses to each side of my neck. Chills ran along my spine straight down into my feet, almost toppling me. My knees wobbled against hers and I leaned into her touch as salvation. 

"Woah, calm down." Her laugh was out in the air, filling my senses once again. "I'm sorry, I get so flustered when I'm with you. It's almost like I can't..." My thoughts trailed off as I caught her eyes. The pendulum swings once more. The tunnel vision is back. 

"Can't what? Can't think?" I saw her mouth moving, saw a brow-raising. But I couldn't make out the words. She's otherworldly; a sight that takes all breath from my lungs. Her hand rested on my arm, making contact with the sleeve of my button-down. "Yeah, something like that." I gave a laugh to season my behavior. I am once again a juvenile fool at her feet, a jester ready to do any dance she asks. "Well, you look dashing," She mimicked my accent, "And we've got to get going. Are you ready?" The pedantic Virgo in her arose once more, showing itself as she glanced compulsively at her watch. 

"You like my vest?" I gave a cheeky smile, posing for her. "Yes, I do. But c'mon! I will not have Grant blaming me for being late. He's scary enough." She grabbed my arm and pulled me as she walked from the bedroom. I could still feel the love facilitated in our room from earlier today. 

-

When I woke the bed was empty. I could still the warmth from her side. When I figured she must be in the kitchen, I made my way down quietly. She was standing at the sink, singing along with a record and tapping her foot. A broad smile painted my face as I snuck up behind her. I lunged at her, wrapping my arms around her body. She screamed, pushing her elbow into my hip. It hurt but was worth it.