Chapter 18 Part 2

The usual rattling of the letterbox intrigued Lucy, causing her to run to the front door like a dog. I almost tripped over her as I made my way to the door. 

"It's just the mailman," I said.  She looked up at me with quiet wonder. 

Sitting on the floor were a magazine, a bill, and a letter. It was addressed to me, coming from Helsinki. Must be from Jimmy!

I ripped it open where I stood. Bits of paper floated onto the floor as I retrieved the letter from its confines. The paper was scratched and scrawled in his handwriting. It was all I had of him for the time being.

My Dearest Guinevere,

I am writing this from the venue in Finland! We're having a grand time, but I'm afraid it's glacial here. It was 2 degrees this morning. And you thought England was cold! But do not worry on about me. I just have to close my eyes and imagine you're right here next to me, warming me.

I miss you so. It pains me that I cannot have the real thing. I am counting down the days until I can see your beautiful face once more. Please do not forget about me while I am away. I would hate to return home and see that you've gone.

I hope you're enjoying your time at home. And try to stay warm! And speaking of home, we will be back in the UK in March. I don't know specifically when, but I will speak to Cole and figure everything out. 

Well, I have to go now. We're on soon. I hope this show goes well. The crowd sounds very excited. I miss you dearly and cannot wait to see you once more.

Your man,

Jimmy

I pressed the letter to my chest. He officially left the UK last week. And I wouldn't see him again for five months. Thinking of the time now, a pain shot through me. It seemed like it would never end. 

-

Lucy's hot breath on my face woke me up. When I rolled over to check the time the clock read 12:02. Without Jimmy I slept in. He was usually my rooster waking me at the break of dawn.

I pushed Lucy off my chest and sat up. Where the sun would usually be there was instead a mass of pale overcast light. The bedroom looked dim in the poor lighting. The floral wallpaper now looked homely. 

As I made my way down the stairs I felt a familiar pain gnawing at my insides. Emptiness. With no one but Lucy and I, I could feel the stillness of the boathouse. A door to the coldest room in the house was left open, allowing cold winter air to wash up from the river. 

I quickly shut it and rubbed my arms trying desperately to conduct some kind of heat. Without Jimmy, the house was no longer a palace of infinite activities. I was bored. My senses were left dejected. The energy that bounced off the walls was no longer present. All that was left now were the antiques he'd collected and the draft from downstairs.

It didn't help that his house was a weird mess. Records were stacked under shelves and the floors needed a good sweeping. The couches were uncomfortable and the porch swing in the living room suddenly struck me as weird. I hadn't thought about how odd and messy his house was before. It seemed part of his charm, this odd and cavernous structure. Without him, it was just a jumble of artifacts and dust. 

Even Lucy could feel how lonely the house was. She walked beside me, following me into the kitchen. An echo of a squeaking cabinet reminded me of the pain in my stomach. I have to go grocery shopping... The thought of leaving the house during this weather made me feel even worse. It was too cold to do anything. 

I settled on toast and tea. There would be no sausage or eggs, no juice or fresh flowers. This was a solitary meal made for essential purposes. Lucy and I would have to be content with the silence that washed through our home today.