Chapter 5

Jimmy spent the next two days running around his house, cleaning everything. Would Gwen be looking at his baseboards? Probably not. But was he scrubbing them? Of course. 

He had been stressing over what would wow her. He decided on a picnic by the water. He would also play her a song. Possibly something new? Learn a new song for her? He had been killing himself with the thoughts galivanting in his mind. He had to take a moment and ground himself. She is only a woman. He repeated in his head. 

Who am I kidding? She's not woman. She's a mythic being at this point. I've been searching for her for as long as I can remember. She's been running in my mind for years. And I've finally got her in my graces. 

He quickly returned to running rampant. He was only calm once again when he sat down to make a grocery list. He was going to make them spaghetti and a dessert. That was Jimmy's specialty! He thought of making a sweet roll or perhaps a cake. He really enjoyed baking and cooking, so he thought it would be nice to feed her what he made. 

When he returned home, he went right back to working. He began to bake the sweet roll. He enjoyed himself while he baked. He hummed tunes he played on tour. He didn't sound as good as Robert. 

His work was finished after the spaghetti was done. He sat on his couch with a huff. His day felt longer than any one he had on tour. But it had just started. Gwen would be on her way soon. He knew he had to pack up the basket and set out a blanket. He was happy to bend over backward for her. Actually, he was overjoyed. He hadn't wanted to give this much in a very long time.

He had been so in his head that he almost lept out of his skin when he heard the knock at his door. He took a calming breath. When he opened the door, Gwen turned to face him. "Um, hi." She smiled wide, meeting his eyes. His breathing stopped. She looked amazing. His eyes trailed from her white platform sandals up to her gorgeous hair. "Hello." 

He couldn't believe she was standing before him at his front door. 

"You can come in." He lead her through the house, giving her a tour. She looked around in quiet awe. "This is really nice! And it's on the water? That Zeppelin money must be good." She joked. 

 "Well, actually, I purchased the house when I worked as a session player. Now, that money was good." It was his turn to joke. Her laugh was gentle and light, like the breeze from the tides of the ocean. 

"So what have you got planned?" She asked. 

"I packed a picnic. I reckon we could have lunch by the water and I could play you something." He looked into her eyes, feeling warmed. Her smile was candlelight paired with red wine. "That sounds amazing! I haven't seen the Thames." She smiled wide. Jimmy snickered at her malapropism. He enjoyed seeing her face turn red when he corrected her. She was so cute when she was embarrassed.

The wood of the acoustic guitar banged against Jimmy's back as their feet trudged along the hillside. The sun was burdening from the clouds for the first time that day. The soft light warmed the air as it swirled around their faces. Gwen felt the ground under her start to shift and become unstable. She lost her balance, fearing she was going to fall. I don't want to look stupid in front of him. 

He grabbed her waist at first. His goal was to stop her from falling. When he made contact with her soft skin, he felt electricity run through him. He felt like a lightning rod. His cheeks flushed red. She stopped, turning to look at him. Their eyes found each other and they shared a shy smile. They were absolutely smitten. She placed her hands in his, looking for guidance in him. 

He lead her down the hillside by one hand. He had never felt better than in this moment. Her hand was in his, and that was enough for him. It didn't matter if she never talked to me again. We've shared this moment. And that is enough for ten lifetimes.