Chapter 4 - The City

The lift didn't take too long to reach the surface and opened up its railings for the carrier to push through.

    (Y/N) sat her duffel bag near her bunk that was assigned to her towards the back and felt the movement of the vehicles from underneath her.

     She was back on the surface after so long...

     Her eyes peaked towards the front where the drivers were and saw out through the windshield the blue sky and white clouds decorating above. It's like she forgot about all the reasons why she was so scared about coming back and remembering a reason why she should. To see the world again.

    She made her way to the front with her eyes glued onto the sky. Axel noticed her stand next to him and followed her eyesight above before looking out into the city ahead. Despite how wrecked and ominous the world had become due to demons and the neglect that followed when humans went underground, there was still some beauty out there if you took a second to look. "You ever wonder what it must've been like before everything?"

    (Y/N) slowly nodded before her eyes trained on some of the buildings ahead. "Hopefully soon we can go back to how things were before."

"You doing alright?" Axel asked as he threw his arm around her shoulder and rubbed her arm. He wasn't sure how she would react to seeing the city again but was glad that she seemed calm for now.

"Yea. Just forgot how it was like seeing the world in person."

    A radio near the driver went off making them press a button. The radio was connected to an earpiece on the driver so they quickly responded and turned slightly towards Axel while keeping their eyes on the road. "The first vehicles made it to the city's edge. Tell them to keep going?"

"Yea. Tell them to remain at least a mile ahead of us." Axel took his arm off (Y/N) to look at his tablet which she also peeked at. She can see where the trucks up ahead were located and where the carriers were now. They were all following the red line that was set for them.

    The driver nodded and went to pass on this information when they received another message from the other end. "Sir the trucks ahead just now came across a demon. How do we proceed?"

    Axel scrunched his eyebrows together at this while (Y/N) clenched her fingers together.

"Damn already?" Jules was busy talking with two Capturers so Axel had to decide. "Tell them to incapacitate it and wait for us to catch up. We need (Y/N) to check it for us."

    The driver nodded while (Y/N) took a second to think. They didn't seemed alarmed so it must not be a tough demon. They did just leave the train yard so chances of demons being around are slim. It still worried her, however. 

     Following Axel's orders, the Capturers ahead were able to subdue the demon until the rest of the team caught up. First it was the rest of the smaller trucks, then the two tanks that carried the weapons and gear, and lastly the two carriers that remained in the back. As the last carrier stopped, Jules and Axel told (Y/N) to wait inside so they can retrieve their weapons. They decided to take the liberty of personally escorting (Y/N) to any demons they find. One of their protective rules they had when it came to her.

    Once they grabbed their weapons, they went back to retrieve the Head Keeper and then led her to where the caught demon was. (Y/N) clutched her tablet in her hands as her eyes darted around the outside. She looked to the snow covered cement beneath her feet, the dead bushes that rustled a ways away from her, shivering as the cold wind blew across her body, they were all bringing back memories of the time she spent during the winter up here. Especially the Island when it first started snowing.