Chapter 46 - The Burns

Akai's deep breathing, so filled with heat, melted the snowflakes that fell around his face.

    He kept his red eyes wide open for any structures that were hidden inside the small blizzard that came over the area. Anything just to get out of it.

      They were on the right track towards finding the farm him and Ki always passed by. They usually took a crowded path not many of the other demons took due to how winding and long it was. You could easily get lost in the nearby forest or fall straight over a not-so-easy-to-spot cliff if you didn't know what you were doing. Which was perfect for the two.

      They were planning to take this path anyways as a part of their plan to escape. And the added blizzard that covered every single inch of the area made it all the more harder for Zankoku or his followers to chase after them.

    Hopefully it'll give them enough time to fully escape the area before Zankoku eventually finds them. That farm was only 7 miles away from the asylum.

"I'm going to step away for a bit."

      Akai turned his head to his brother who was adjusting his coat and looking off into the distance. "I need to make sure there will be a way for us out of this area without the King following."

"I thought you would gone by now." Akai grumbled, as if he hated the fact that his brother was still here.

"I thought so too." Yama rolled his eyes. He glanced at Ki's approaching figure down the road carrying the poor unconscious woman close to his body to keep her warm. His long coat was wrapped around her body like a blanket. "Our escape didn't go exactly as planned so we need to be more cautious for now."

     Akai tossed the hood of his coat over his head as he narrowed his eyes at the doctor. Still suspicious of him. "Whatever. Did the mutt come back?"

     Akai had sent Dog out into the blizzard to find some sort of shelter to wait out the storm. He didn't care if the demon was greatly injured, best case scenario was for Dog to collapse and freeze to death out there for all he cares. That would be his punishment for screwing up the plan.

     Yama scanned his eyes along the horizon, not seeing the spider demon's figure anywhere. "No. In this weather, he'll for sure become lost."

"Hopefully." Akai grunted before beginning to walk the path again once Ki had caught up, his boots crunching into the deep snow.

     Yama remained where he was, observing the vast field ahead that was covered in inches deep of snow. Things surely didn't go exactly as planned. If his plan had worked, (Y/N) would be safe at his hideout by now. But of course not. He should've had a backup.

     He turned on his heel and started following after the small group from a distance. He kept his eyes on his friend who was wrapped up in Ki's arms. Still within the hands of her kidnappers.

     Yama couldn't just grab her and run. He hated to say it but Ki and Akai together as a team are not an easy fight. They've undoubtedly grown stronger and smarter over the years under Zankoku's leadership that if you were to fight one you had to expect the other. They must realize this too since they see each other as partners now instead of rivals like before. Zankoku and his followers may refer to them as the two idiots but there's a reason the King made them his scouts.

     For now, Yama would need to play along with them if he wanted to save her. Any other person he would turn a blind eye to but (Y/N) was someone who earned his respect and who he calls a friend. He wasn't going to let his brother and the quiet one turn her into some plaything.

     The doctor looked up when he started to hear heavy breathing and soon a thud from up ahead. He looked up and saw that Ki and Akai had stopped just before Dog's exhausted body. He was clutching his ribs as he lay on the snow from fatigue. But he forced himself to at least lift his head up.