01

Scott was getting ready for bed. As he laced up his lacrosse stick, he heard an odd sound. He grabbed a wooden bat and made his way outside.

Stiles dangled from the roof, causing Scott to scream.

"Stiles, what the hell are you doing?!" Scott cried, noticing Molly. "Who's she?"

"You weren't answering your phone," Stiles replied. "Why do you have a bat? This is Molly. I picked her up on the way. She's new to town."

"I thought you were a predator."

"A pre -- I -- wha -- look, I know it's late, but you gotta hear this. I saw my dad leave 20 minutes ago. Dispatch called. They're bringing in every officer from the Beacon Department, and even State Police."

"For what?"

"Two joggers found a body in the woods."

"A dead body?"

"No, a body of water. Yes, dumbass, a dead body."

"You mean like murdered?"

"Nobody knows yes. Just that it was a girl, probably in her late 20s."

"Hold on, if they found the body, then what are they looking for?"

"That's the best part. They only found half. We're going."

Molly looked between the boys, focusing on Stiles. "It's alarming how excited you are about half a dead body."

---

Scott let out an annoyed sigh as they reached the Beacon Hills Preserve. "We're seriously doing this?"

"You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town," Stiles shot back.

"I was trying to get a good night's sleep before practice tomorrow."

"Right, 'cause sitting on the bed is such a grueling effort," Stiles replied sarcastically.

"No, because I'm playing this year. In fact, I'm making first line."

"Hey, that's the spirit. Everyone should have a dream, even a pathetically unrealistic one."

Molly rolled her eyes before asking, "Just out of curiosity, which half of the body are we looking for? Oh, if either of you see two tall men in plaid, hide me. They'll kill me dead if they see me out here."

"Huh! I didn't even think about that. Kill you dead? Who says things like that?"

"I do."

"And, uh, what if whoever killed the body is still out there?" Scott wondered.

"Also something I didn't think about," Stiles admitted.

Molly glanced at Scott and asked, "Is this common?"

Scott nodded. "It's basically a daily occurrence that Stiles has a plan with little detail."

"Huh. It's a wonder you two are still alive."

Stiles shot her a look as Scott said, "It's comforting to know you've planned this out with your usual attention to detail."

"I know," Stiles replied.

"Maybe the severe asthmatic should be the one holding the flashlight, huh?" Scott suggested, pausing.

Molly glanced back and Scott ushered her forward.

"Wait, come on!" Stiles cried as Molly caught up to him.

"Stiles! Wait up! Stiles! Stiles!"

"Hold it right there!" a cop demanded.