22

Scott picked up Molly and drove to Stiles' house.

Sheriff Stilinski frowned while they told him about Matt. "So this kid's the real killer?"

Molly nodded. "Yeah."

"No," Sheriff Stilinski and Robin said.

"Yes!" Stiles exclaimed.

"No."

Stiles threw his hands into the air. "Dad, come on. Everybody knows that the police look for ways to connect their victims in a murder, okay? So all he had to do is, like, look through their transcripts and figure out which class they all had in common."

"Yeah, except for the fact that the rave promoter Kara wasn't in Harris' class," the sheriff said.

"All right, okay, you're right, sorry. Then I guess they dropped the charges against him?"

The sheriff shook his head. "No, you know what? They're not dropping the charges. But that doesn't prove anything."

"H-"

Sheriff Stilinski turned his gaze to his son's friends. "Molly, Scott, do you believe this?"

"Oh."

Scott and Molly nodded before Molly said, "It's hard to explain how we know this, but you gotta trust us. We know it's Matt."

Stiles said, "Yeah, he took Harris's car, okay? Look, he knew that if a cop found tire tracks at one of the murders, and that if enough of the victims were in Harris's class, that they'd arrest him."

The sheriff looked between them. "All right, fine. I'll allow the remote possibility, but give me a motive. I mean, why would this kid want most of the 2006 swim team and its coach dead?"

Molly scoffed. "Oh, probably because the swim team sucks. I mean, it's laughable how bad they are."

Stiles pointed to her and said, "They haven't won in, like, six years. Okay, we don't have a motive yet. I mean, come on, does Harris?"

Sheriff Stilinski frowned at his son. "What do you want me to do?"

"We need you to look at the evidence," Scott replied.

"Yeah, that would be in the station, where I no longer work."

"Trust me, they'll let you in," Stiles answered.

The sheriff looked at his son. "Trust you?"

"Trust -- trust Scott? Or Molly?"

"Scott I trust. Molly's too much like you."

Molly feigned a shocked expression. "Sheriff, how could you?"

"I've heard enough from your brothers, Molly. And you immediately became friends with my son and his best friend."

"Okay, yeah. But it's not that bad."

"When you two are behaving, absolutely."

---

They got to the station and there was a deputy at the front desk. "It's 2:00 in the morning."

Sheriff Stilinski shot her an apologetic look. "Believe me, I wouldn't be here if it wasn't extremely important."

"We look at hospital stuff first, okay?" Stiles told them.

Molly frowned. "Why?"

"Because all the murders were committed by Jackson, except for one, remember?"

"Oh. Right."

Scott nodded. "The pregnant girl, Jessica."

Stiles glanced to his friend. "Yeah. Since Matt had to kill her himself, somebody from the hospital could've seen him."