Chapter 27

River's pov-

We've been playing with Loki and Lincoln in my moms office for the past hour, waiting for some news from Perseus. I really just wanted to take Salah home and hold her. I couldn't stop looking at the blood on her pants.

I don't know if I should be relieved or worried about how Salah is reacting to the baby situation. I'm absolutely torn about losing one of the babies. I know the doctor said it was inevitable but I still feel awful about it. I feel guilty, it was my fault Max had to push Salah.

She's being so calm about the situation. I mean she's smiling and playing with the twins like nothing happened. I'm happy she's happy but I'm not sure how long this happiness is going to last.

I felt a hand land on my shoulder, "¿Puedo hablar contigo un minuto?" - " Can I talk to you for a minute?" Perseus asked.

" Sure." I got up from the floor, " I'll be right back, angel." I said, looking over to Salah, she nodded, still playing with the twins.

We walked out into the hallway and shut the door for privacy. " Did you find out about their dad?" I asked.

" Yeah, it's not good. Their dad didn't make it out of the fire and their mother died of cancer a little over a year ago. I tried looking for other family members but haven't had any luck. Both parents were only children and both sets of grandparents are either dead or in a home. The hospital workers were supposed to be watching over them while they waited for a social worker. They must've gotten separated in the fire." he explained to me.

The fuck are we supposed to do now?

" So what now? They go into the system?" I asked, he nodded, " Unless we're able to find someone to take them in they're going to be put into a group home and then into a foster home." I ran my hand down my face and let out a frustrated sigh.

" Thanks, man." I said. I walked back into the room and Salah looked at me expectantly.

" Tendrán que ir a hogares de acogida." - " They're going to have to go into foster care." I told her and a frown took over her features.

" Son solo niños." - " They're just kids." she said.

" I know, mi amor." I said, putting my hand on her shoulder.

" ¿Qué debemos hacer con ellos esta noche? No quiero llamar a los servicios sociales en este momento. Han tenido un día tan horrible que lo último que necesitan es más drama." - " What should we do with them tonight? I don't want to call social services right now. They've had such a horrid day, the last thing they need is more drama." she said and I nodded in agreement.

" Podríamos traerlos a casa con nosotros esta noche y luego resolver el resto mañana." - " We could bring them home with us tonight and then figure the rest out tomorrow." I suggested and she agreed.

" How would you guys feel about having a sleepover tonight?" Salah asked and both twins excitedly agreed. She called to warn Jack about the incoming guests.

We didn't have car seats so Salah sat in the back with the kids and I drove. We finally got back to Jack's apartment. We had managed to find some clothes and toys for the twins in my mom's office. Salah and I bathed the twins, cleaning the soot and dirt off of them.

" What do you guys want for dinner?" Salah asked, sitting on the couch with the twins in her lap. She had turned on some random kids show.

" Mac and Cheese!" they shouted excitedly. Salah and I laughed. I went into the kitchen and started making them mac and cheese.

Once we got them fed we decided to put them to bed. It was almost ten and they were only four, they probably should've been asleep hours ago.

Salah and I were finally settled in bed. It felt nice having her in my arms, it's been a crazy, stressful, depressing day. We'd found out we're having three children, we lost a child, we saved two kids from a burning building. It's been a hell of a day.