VII

ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴏᴠ

ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴏᴠ

𝘛𝘩𝘦 𝘉𝘭𝘢𝘤𝘬 𝘙𝘪𝘣𝘣𝘰𝘯

♛♛♛

Hazel chewed on her bottom lip as if it were some sort of toy for stress relief.

Her misty, hazel eyes dragged along the screen, reading the phone number and contact name over again.

She was in a debate with herself. Whether she should message him or not.

For gratitude purposes, she wanted to thank him. Something she hasn't been doing for quite a while now, and to maybe also slip in the friend's question.

Though, she was nervous. Nervous about the outcome. Would he even reply? Or would he just ignore her? She didn't know. But she considered he would since he was the one to leave the phone number.

Dropping the phone onto the bed, Hazel picked up her chocolate bar and bit into it—her overthinking was overwhelming her. After the library today, Hazel had made it her mission to go down to her favourite chocolate store.

Derik wasn't working today but his lovely wife Scarlet was. Scarlet was just as equally heart filled as her husband. The couple were always people that could make Hazel truly smile.

Without paying a single dollar, Scarlet let her take the chocolate bar for free. Always the couple insisted on her not paying, but Hazel couldn't do it. So, without her seeing, she stashed the cash inside a little jar next to the counter.

Sighing, the milky chocolate absorbed in her mouth like butter spread on warm toast. The giddy feeling chocolate had over her was something she took advantage of in lots of situations. For example, one so much like this one.

Considering Hazel didn't know what to do about the essay, she relied on asking her friend, Julius. Maybe he would give her some closure on what to do. Confront the witch of a teacher or simply revolve around a new essay.

Figuring her teacher was already at a crossroad with her, she didn't even know if he would admit to fooling her. He has much more power over her, clearly—and even if he were to lie and fool her further, Hazel surely wouldn't have the guts to stand up for herself.

Looking back down at the phone, her finger unhesitatingly pressed on the call button. Hazel's heart pounded in her chest, she's never called a friend before—or anyone for that matter. Unless it was a coworker sort of thing, but never for her own purposes.

Dropping the foiled up bar on her bed, she listened to the dials. Every beat was like the thump of her pounding heart—up until it stopped when the dial's stopped themselves.

Suddenly her mouth went dry. Words hadn't seemed to form on her tongue, so she stayed silently red.

"Who is it?" His frightening voice came out harsh and quiet. The deep tone threatening yet somewhat musical to her ears—and Hazel was so goddamned confused.