XXXIX

ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴏᴠ

ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴏᴠ

𝘙𝘢𝘵𝘩𝘦𝘳 𝘉𝘦 𝘞𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘜

♛♛♛

"Tell me what you did while I was gone."

It was the next day and the pair sat outside in their large garden, precisely where Hazel had been laying woefully in the pits of lilacs growing.

"I didn't do anything exciting," She admits. She raises her eyes to the clear blue sky, which is dotted with light clouds.

She hears him chuckle softly in her ears, the sound distinct and pulsating. She missed him even more than she had anticipated.

"You've always got something to tell me, Hazel. Are you sure there's nothing?"

The amusement in his tone undoubtedly enlightened her, intriguing her enough to lift her head from the clouds and reply to her boyfriend.

As he inhaled the toxins from the cigarette between his lips, he sat opposite her, his back against the oak tree.

"Okay...I might have something," She smiled cheekily, picking up a regular lilac from the grass.

"Mhm," He hums, encouraging her to go on.

Twirling the flower between her fingers, Hazel thinks of the mini exams she's passed and the adventures she'd had with Trace and Gracie, all happening to rid of his thoughts of him during that time.

"I will tell you though, I wasn't myself." She still looks down at the lilac, watching the sun gleam over the purple petals.

"During that month I was miserable, unhappy and just..." She cuts herself off and looks away from the flower, somewhat adjusting her eyes on his chest.

"That's why I don't have many amazing stories to tell you this time; the 'amazing' part got knocked out."

The cigarette drops to the ground and it only leaves Hazel's curiosity to settle as to what his motives were.

Though, he is quick to raise an arm and motion her to come to him, to which she does.

She snuggled across his lap and buried her head under his arm, inhaling the tobacco, cologne, and the aroma of mango that remained on him like a home scent.

"Anything you tell me, Hazel, is everything but more than amazing. I'm glad I didn't see you like that for long; I couldn't stand seeing you like that for even a few minutes."

His words make her heart swell. The simplicity of them lifted a weight from her shoulder that was nothing short of gratifying.

"You're incredible, Juls. I don't deserve you."

He scoffed and recoiled in response to her words as if she'd spoken the most ridiculous thing imaginable.

"Darling, it's the exact opposite. I don't deserve you at all," He lowers his head to rest in the crook of her neck. "Not even those sweet laughs or kisses you give me day in and day out," he says softly, the love for him growing greater.