2

"How's the new family then?" Dahlia asked.

We were sat in one of the cafeterias in college, at a table we always sat at so long as it was free. Wasn't easy to always get the same spot when our college had thousands of students but Dahlia had a free period almost every day before lunch so she'd be able to come get the table for us most of the time.

I'd always told Dahlia I liked this table because it was by the door leading outside so we could get out before being crushed by everyone when lunch was over. And that when it was warm, and the door was left open a nice cool breeze could wash over us. But the truth was, I liked this table because from here I had a clear view of another table; the big long one that could fit around 10 people on it. The table that Roman Kingsley always sat at.

It wasn't that I had a crush on him, no, it was just that he was attractive, and I liked it when he laughed because his face just looked so bright and full of joy. But I didn't know the guy and I'd never spoken to him before, so I didn't really have a crush on him, maybe just a slight infatuation.

"Yeah, they're okay," I replied. I'd already been living at the Colloway's for about 8 days now. They didn't live too far from college, like I'd wanted, so it was only about a 15 minute walk to get here which was better than the 15 minute bus ride I used to take from the care home because my only options with the bus was get here way too early or way too late, because of what time it got to my stop. "Allison came by again yesterday and yeah the family's okay and I like the extra lie in I get in the morning now, so I told her I was fine to stay. Carrie and Mike said they were happy for me to stay too so now we get to play happy families." I'd unpacked all my things when in my room now that it seemed I'd would be there a while and I will admit, it was nice to kind of make the room a bit more of my own.

"Until you decide to self-sabotage again," Dahlia said with her eyes raised. I liked her because of how blunt and honest she could be, but it was also a reason to dislike her at times.

"I'm not gonna self sabotage," I said with my eyes narrowed. "At least I'll try not to. They're willing to let me stay with them even after I turn 18 so I can have a steady place to live until I finish my exams and leave college. It would be nice to revise somewhere actually quiet for a change and God knows I need to revise history."

"Why the fuck you chose history I'll never understand."

I shrugged. "I liked it in school."

Roman hadn't come to lunch yet. Sometimes he'd be late or sometimes he wouldn't show up at all. I'd always wonder what he'd been doing and then to give myself answers, because I'd never get any actual ones from him, I'd imagine that he was in some kind of secret gang and that he had to go do a job for them. Logically I knew he'd probably just stayed behind in a class, or not come in, or hung out with other friends that day. It was just more fun for me to make him more mysterious than he had to be.

"So, plans for tonight?" Dahlia asked.

"Charlie asked if I wanted to go to a motive one of his mate's is throwing. I thought I might as well," I replied.

"And I'm invited?" Dahlia's dyed purple hair fluttered against the wind as the doors opened and let some wind in.

"Yeah, I asked if I could bring someone."

"Cool, thanks."

——

"So, is she a friend orrr...?" Charlie questioned as we sat together on one of the sofas. There were quite a few people here and I'd had a fair few to drink.

"Just a friend," I said chuckling. I didn't want to give anything away yet.

"Sick, so like, you cool if I go chat to her?" Charlie asked.