39

"Hi babe, how do you feel today?" Roman asked as I met him at his front door.

"I feel like today is a good day," I said. "Come on. I'm taking you on a date." I moved the hand hidden behind my back to show him the bouquet of flower I had gotten for him. I promised myself I would get him some whenever I found a pretty one. These were red geraniums, rich in colour and beautiful.

"We are?" he asked and "Thank you," he said taking the bouquet from me and smelling them.

"Yeah," I said enthusiastically. "You see, I recently came into a large sum of money and really wanna take my boyfriend out because he's pretty cool and very sweet to me and he deserves it."

"Aww, cute. Thank you. I'll pay for some of it though," he said.

"Absolutely not. You didn't let me last time, so you don't get to either. I'm paying for everything," I said stubbornly.

"But..."

"No."

"Fine. Where are we going then?" he asked. The sun was out and bright tonight and as the light caught his eyes, it made them look like the deep hue of honey on tree bark.

"You pick. But you don't get to choose something cheap, like a picnic or something, just cos I'm paying. Think of something fun and expensive."

"You're annoying." He kissed the tip of my nose and let me inside where we found his mum in the kitchen.

I hadn't seen his parents in a little while with me not having been in the best of places mentally. It was a new day though; a new week already having passed until it was the weekend again. I feel more back to my normal self now but there were moments in every day where I kept wanting to crawl back into bed. The compulsion to wash my hands had gone down significantly though, and with all the moisturising I'd been doing, they felt as new as a baby's.

"Hi love," Sofia said not quite noticing me yet. "Oh! Alden! Nice to see you again. How are you sweetie? Roman says you've been a bit under the weather."

"I'm better now. Thank you," I replied politely.

"Oh good. I'm so glad to hear it. Were these from you again?" she asked taking the flowers from Roman after taking out a vase to put them in.

"Yeah. I thought they were nice."

"They are. They're beautiful. Don't you have such a sweet boyfriend Roman?" she asked her son whose smile hadn't left his face since he'd seen me at the door. My heart could melt.

"The sweetest. He's taking me on a date in fact," Roman said.

"Oh lovely. Actually, bout time your father took me on another date. I'm gonna tell him," Sofia said just as Romeo walked in behind her with Genie in his arms.

"Alden!!!" she practically screamed as she came running over and gave my legs a little hug. I knelt down to her level and gave her a proper hug in return.

"Were you talking about me love?" Romeo asked his wife.

"Yes. I was just saying how it's about time you took me on another date," she replied as I said hello back to Genie and picked her up.

"Oh, well sure. How about this Friday? We can book a hotel," he suggested. I didn't want to know what they planned to do at the hotel and neither did Roman apparently.

"Well, you guys have fun planning that, but I don't wanna hear it. Please don't talk about it in front of me," Roman said covering his ears just in case.

"Teenagers, honestly," his mum chided. "It's nothing you haven't done. You'll probably have him round now knowing we won't be home," Sofia said gesturing toward me with her head. There I go blushing again.