22

"You're wearing the necklace," was the first thing Roman said after saying hello. He said it like he expected me to not be wearing it.

"Yeah, I haven't really taken it off..." I replied truthfully.

"Good." He seemed pleased about this which in turn made me pleased with my actions.

Every time I'd thought about taking it off, I would go to do it and then stop right before I could. It felt like it would be wrong to take it off. Guys have gotten me presents before but they were always things that those men tried to use to buy me in a way. Another reason to make the majority of them believe it was okay to be with someone underage, until I turned 16 anyway and then I was just 'a little young'. The worst part was that I knew it was wrong, but I still allowed it to happen. But this gift felt special. Roman had given it to me simply because he thought about me when he saw it and because he wanted me to have it. How could I take it off after that?

"Romeyyyyyy," Genie called as she ran over on her little legs. When I looked further ahead, I saw Roman's parents looking over, but they seemed okay with their daughter running off as she was clearly headed for Roman. I did end up making awkward eye contact with Roman's mum though which made me look away almost immediately.

"Genevieve, I told you to stay with mum and dad," Roman lightly scolded his sister. When I looked over again, I could see his parents had sat down on some seating in the shopping centre with a few bags by their feet. I could only feel relief wash over me at not having to meet them yet.

"But I wanna stay with chuuu," Genie moaned as she made grabby hands at her older brother. She was fucking adorable. Roman seemed to think so too with the way his features softened up and he immediately brought her into his arms.

"You're soooo pwetty. Are you Romey's fwend?" Genie asked as she looked at me with these big doe eyes. They were the same brown as her older brother's eyes.

"Genie, it's 'pRetty' and 'fRiend'," Roman corrected emphasising the letter 'R' in both words. "But yeah, he is very pretty, isn't he? And he's more of a special friend."

"Special fRiend like Chloe was?" Genie asked getting the word 'friend' correct this time. I didn't know who Chloe was, but I had a feeling that maybe it was an ex.

"Maybe," was all Roman said before he turned to look me straight in the eyes at an intense stare. "If he wants to be sometime."

Was he asking me to be his boyfriend?! Or no... He said 'sometime' so he didn't mean right now. But how soon was sometime? Why did Charlie have to leave me? I need to ask him with this means. Or am I just freaking out and looking too much into it?

"You'd be the prettiest special friend Romey's ever had!" Genie complimented quite loudly as her enthusiasm overtook her.

"She's not wrong," Roman said in agreement.

I smiled, my heart pumping fast from how nervous and overwhelmed I was feeling, but so thankful that I had his baby sister's approval. "Thank you. You're very pretty too little one." Genie was very cute with her little pigtails.

"But you have such cool hair!" This girl was going to boost my fucking ego.

"Hey, stop complimenting him so much. I'm gonna start to think you're tryna steal him away from me and make him your special friend," Roman moaned in fake annoyance. "I saw him first so he's mine."

"Aww, no fair," Genie responded. Genie was my new favourite person in the whole entire world.

"You guys can always fight for me," I suggested.

"No. Genie would totally win," Roman said refusing before looking at his sister. "Go back to mum and dad already."

They argued back and forth for a couple minutes before Genie reluctantly ran back to her parents. I saw her and Roman's parents look at me again when I looked over, but I was quick to dismiss the eye contact once more.