44

Everything had been going great for a few weeks now. Me and Roman were better than ever. Being with him brought me so much peace that I couldn't even describe properly if I wanted to. He was like a breath of fresh air after a long day, my haven from any distress I ever felt.

Sometimes we bickered or argued, but we always made up in the end and the anxiety of what would happen next would wash away because I knew he would always be by my side.

So, when Alessia came to talk to me one day, I couldn't have even guessed what she had to say.

I was finishing up at college and heading out to meet Charlie at his car because he was giving me a lift back home. Roman hadn't come in today because he only had one lesson and it had been cancelled so he decided to just stay home. And as I was walking to Charlie's car, this girl came up to me and stopped me.

"Hey," she said as I looked at her confused. She was blonde and kind of short with gold tinsel she had put through two braids at the front of her face. She seemed familiar somehow, but I couldn't make out exactly where I had seen her before.

"Oh, uhh hi?" I replied hoping she'd tell me who she was.

"Hi, I'm Alessia. I just uh kinda wanted to talk to you for a minute," she said. I nodded and let her say whatever she had to say. But maybe I shouldn't have. "You're dating Roman, aren't you?" My eyes narrowed at her wondering why she scared so much about who I was dating.

"Yeah."

"Well look, there's something you should know about him," she began before I interrupted her.

"Who are you exactly?"

"I used to be friends with him," she said and then suddenly I remembered that she had been one of the girls I saw at that fair we went to on my birthday.

"Right well, I don't actually want to talk to you then," I said before I started walking away from her. She wouldn't let up though and followed beside me.

"Look, just listen, okay. We thought you would just be another person who he dated for like a month before things ended, but you've been together longer than that now, and he probably hasn't told you this himself. He's not a good person."

"Fuck off." I continued walking ignoring what she had to say but already my guard was going up. What did she mean he wasn't a good person? I should talk to Roman about this, but she kept talking and I couldn't do anything about it.

"Look, please, he forced himself on someone, okay." I stopped in my tracks.

"What?"

"Our friend, Louis, he told us about it because it happened to him. Roman tried to kiss him but Louis didn't want to and when he said no, Roman kept trying. Louis had to run to get away from him," she tried to explain. All I could think about was 'forced himself on him'. Roman would never do that, would he?

"You're lying," I said.

"I'm not. That's what Louis told us before they stopped being friends. He didn't say anything before because Roman hadn't come out yet and he didn't think anyone would believe him. We were all friends, we had been for years, and I don't think Louis would lie about this."

"But you do think Roman would do something like this?" I asked still not believing her. There was a tiny part of me that maybe thought it was possible, only because of the way guys had treated me before, but I didn't fully believe that Roman could be that kind of person. Sometimes he made mistakes, like when he wasn't being aware of where his hands were and he touched my scar while we were having sex, but he would never hurt someone on purpose like that.