28

Roman's parents weren't home when I got there, so neither was Genie which I will admit I was slightly disappointed at. She was a sweet little thing, and I was excited to see her again. I never had siblings, and while now I had Charlie and Emily, it wasn't the same as having a little one to protect. I envied Roman this.

"Do they know I'll be here?" I asked following Roman up the stairs. We'd made idle conversation up until this point, both excited for what was to come and trying to pass the time.

I distracted myself in the car by watching the flex of Roman's hands on the wheel of his mum's car, watched the way they formed a fist around the gear stick as the speed of the car changed, and I imagined his hands forming around me in similar ways. His arms had slightly protruding veins and I longed to trace their path up to where they ended at the fold of his elbows.

"Umm nah I did tell them, but they won't care," Roman replied. I was trailing behind him, but he could have led me anywhere for all I know because my eyes were firmly planted on his bum.

"They won't?"

"Nah. Basically when I turned 18, they were like you're an adult now, you don't need to ask to bring people over. It was a slightly more awkward conversation than that, but yeah, they won't mind. Also, I know it didn't seem like it at first, but mum and dad both like you, so they really wouldn't care."

"Your dad likes me?" I asked. We were finally in his room, and he turned around so I couldn't eye fuck his backside anymore.

"Yeah. He told me the day after you came for dinner." This was news to me.

"Why didn't you say? Idiot," I said lightly pushing his shoulder back. He grabbed my waist and pulled me to him as he took a seat at the edge of his bed, my legs falling to either side of him, so I was sat on him.

Roman shrugged. "I don't know. I must have just forgotten."

"Well, what did he say exactly?" I asked.

"Just that he was too quick to judge, coz of all the reasons he said when he apologised, and that afterwards when we went down for ice cream and we were all talking 'n stuff, he liked the way you looked at me or whatever. It was some cheesy shit." Roman was trying to make it out like he didn't care, like this was just some passing comment, but I could see the way his eyes lit up and the subtle smile on his lips that let me know either that he was happy his dad liked me, or that he was happy I had been looking at him in some kind of way.

"Oh? And how was I looking at you?"

"You tell me?"

"I bet I was just staring coz you had something in your teeth."

"I had something in my teeth?"

"Why else would I be staring?"

"Maybe cos you think I'm pretty?"

"You're not that pretty?"

"I'm not that pretty? Fine never mind, you can sit there and watch me do homework tonight."

"Wait..."

"Well apparently I'm not that pretty."

"I guess you're a little pretty. Can we make out now?"

"Yeah, okay."

And then we were making out on his bed, having moved positions so we were both laying down, side by side, until the sunset. Mind you, it was winter, and the sunset was always a little after 4pm when the country would be shrouded in darkness ready for the night. So, when I say we made out until the sunset, that was about a total of ten minutes at best as the sun had already started setting when I got here, and now it was just dark outside, no sun to be seen at all. I didn't like how short the days felt during winter.