27

"So you guys did stuff?" Dahlia asked a few days later when I finally saw her again. We were back in college and had a lesson in the morning but then we walked back to her house as we didn't have another lesson again until after lunch.

"Yeah, well I kinda did stuff to him," I replied. I didn't exactly give her the details, nor was I planning to, but I told her the gist of things.

"So, you did stuff to him, and he didn't do anything to you?"

"Yeah?" I said in a questioning way as I didn't get where she was coming from.

She sighed and looked away after she said, "It sounds a little familiar."

"Hey that's not fair," I argued. We were on her bed where I laid on my stomach with a pillow between my arms. "He offered, I just said no."

"You sure he didn't just like say it in a way that would make sure you said no?"

Did he? I don't think so. Surely not.

"I'm fairly certain he didn't. I mean it kinda started with him going to touch me anyway."

"Okay, if you say so."

"Do you not...like him?" I asked worried. I trusted Dahlia's opinion and if she didn't like him, I had to find out why and if it was just a misunderstanding. I wasn't sure how I could go forward without Dahlia's approval of him. She'd seen me with my heart broken only a few times but enough at the start of our friendship and by then I already wasn't seeing as many guys as I used to.

"No, I do. Just checking that he's treating you right, you know," she replied. Her hair was put into space buns making her look cute in contrast whith her big harsh eyeliner making her look more badass. "Anyway, so, your birthday's coming up! What do you wanna do?"

"I don't know."

I never really celebrated my birthday after my parents passed. There was just never anyone to spend the day with and almost every year that day just made me sad because I never really felt special or particularly loved. Last year was definitely one of the nicer birthdays. Dahlia and I were kind of friends at this point, so when I told her at lunch that it was my birthday, she took me out afterwards. I didn't have a fake ID so I couldn't go clubbing or anything, but we went to dinner and her mum got us alcohol that we drank in her room with old school songs from ABBA and Queen and various other artists. It was fun.

"Something like last year maybe, except I'll be 18 so we could actually go out to drink?" I suggested. "Shit, Ellie's not 18 yet though, so she wouldn't be able to come. I don't wanna leave her out."

"Oh, it's cool, she has a fake ID," Dahlia replied.

"She does?"

"Yeah."

"From where?"

Dahlia shrugged as I contemplated where sweet little Ellie got a fake from. Not that it even mattered anymore because I'll be 18 soon enough and wouldn't need a fake.

"So, clubbing with everyone then? It'll be a Friday so I don't think anyone would not wanna go. And then what do you wanna do during the day? We can skip college and hang out?" Dahlia said.

"Yeah, okay."

"Oh, unless you wanna hang out with your man instead?"

I smiled at hearing Roman be called mine. "Can't I hang out with both of you?"

"Absolutely," Dahlia said happily. Maybe she was worried I wouldn't want to see her as much now that we had all these other friends and I had a 'kind of' boyfriend, but as if I would ever abandon my best friend and the first person that was ever truly there for me. "Can I paint your nails?"