8

I was terrified as I waited for Roman in the park. It was Sunday now and everywhere was shut so this seemed like a good place to go. I didn't know what he had to say though that he had to say in person. What if he had googled my name too and found out what had happened?

I'd decided when I woke up this morning that I was willing to forgive Charlie because he hadn't really done anything wrong. He should have stopped his friends from looking me up, but he was probably curious himself. He should have still stopped them regardless of how he felt, but he's been good to me during my time at the Colloways. Still, I was upset with him, so I wasn't going to let him know things were cool between us until at least tonight. However, if Roman were to have found out the truth, I think I'd probably spend every waking moment hoping he didn't tell people and avoiding the fuck out of him.

I was sat on one of the swings swaying slightly as I got lost in my thoughts when a little voice interrupted me. It wasn't Roman though, but a little boy who must have come to the park with his family.

"Hi," he said cheerily. He must have been around seven or so. "I asked my mum if I could go on the swings even though there was a stranger on them. She said if I ask you politely if I can join you and you say yes then I can. So can I?"

"Sure," I replied a little taken aback. The kid told me his mum was by the slide with his sister and keeping an eye on him, so she'd noticed if I tried anything funny. I definitely didn't plan on trying anything with him, so I just kept swinging on my own swing.

"I can go so much higher than you," the kid said shocked at how little I moved. "Look!" He began swinging his legs back and forth more fervently until he was swinging high up into the air. Now I did have a little competitiveness in me, something I inherited from my father, so I wasn't just going to let the kid think he'd won when he'd not even seen my true power.

"Oh yeah, well watch this!" I said as I started swinging at his pace. We were pretty evenly matched, but my legs were much longer than his which meant they scraped against the floor every time I came down making me lose my momentum.

"I win! I win! I win!" the kid kept screaming when his mum called him away. I mumbled swears at him under my breath, so he didn't hear. It's because my legs were so damn long compared to his. Give me shorter legs or a taller swing and I would 100% have done better than him.

When I turned around with a scowl on my face, I almost jumped out of my skin at the sight of Roman stood with his arms crossed as he observed me.

"Jesus Christ," I almost shouted. "What the fuck. How long have you been there?"

"Long enough to see you and that kid competing on them swings," he replied. My mouth opened and closed like a fish as embarrassment overtook my senses and I turned what I'm sure was a very deep shade of crimson. "And long enough to see you lose."

"Yeah, well, he was cheating," I said standing my ground.

"Was he now?" Roman questioned with a smirk.

"Yeah. He had shorter legs! He could swing back and forth without scraping his feet every time."

"That's a fair point," he said smiling as he sat down on the now vacant swing next to my own which I also sat back down in. "This isn't me challenging you to another swing contest by the way."

I scoffed. "You would definitely lose anyway. Your legs are even longer the mine."

He chuckled and things were quiet for a moment as we slowly swayed back and forth. I wanted to ask him why he asked to meet me, but I was too nervous to find out. What if he did know about my past?