Chapter 11: Marinette's limit

Marinette POV

After the akuma attack from last week, the bullies decided to back away from me. Though the rumours about me have not stopped. Even Lila's false tales have not stopped. She even claimed that I convinced Chloe and Alya to allow themselves to be akumatized, causing me to gain more notoriety.

As for Adrien, he was no help. Even he told me to take the high road. Most of the time, he just ignored me. 

Speaking of which, Alya told me that she can't be my friend anymore because her parents believe in the rumours. Much to my crippling despair. 

Despite Chloe, Isaac, Luka and my parents being by my side, I could feel my will slipping away. While everyone was in class, I walked along the corridor, I saw Lila leaning against her locker.

"Hello, Mari-Trash." She said with a smirk.

I ignored her and went to my locker. 

"What? No retorts?" She asked with fake sympathy.

"You're not even worth it." I replied.

"Funny, Crimson said the same thing about you." She said.

"It wasn't even true. He said it as much too my face." I said.

Lila scoffed.

"Don't you have more lies to say? How you rescued Jagged Stone's cat from a tree? Or how you met Prince Ali during his trip to Hawaii? Or how I'm working for Hawkmoth?" I demanded.

Lila smiled as she leaned close to me.

"I just want to tell people wanted to hear. And I expected you to be as naïve as everyone else. But if you think you and your friends can stop me, you are dead wrong. If only you accepted my offer, no of this would've happen. Alas you chose to oppose me. A shame really. I guess Hawkmoth choosing you as my victim was the right choice." She said.

I couldn't believe my ears. 

"W-What? You're working for Hawkmoth?" I gasped.

"Of course. Who would you have expected? Chloe? Maybe the next akuma would go after your parents." Lila laughed.  

Rage boiled inside me and before I knew it, Lila was on the ground sobbing and clutching her bruised cheek. I looked down at my bruised knuckles.

Everyone gasped. 

"Why did you go and do that for, Marinette!?" Adrien shouted as he helped up Lila.

"I bet she works for Hawkmoth. That's why the akuma's have been targeting us." Mylene called out.

The crowd continued to hurl insults at me. 

"And to think I thought of you as a friend." Adrien said as he lead Lila to the nurse's office.

"YOU AND I WERE NEVER FRIENDS!" I shouted. Adrien looked back.

"I've had feelings for you since the first time we met! But you only had eyes for Ladybug, a person who doesn't have the same feelings for you! And you called me a friend, yet you never paid that much attention to me! I'm done with this! I'm done with being everyone's punching bag! By time I become an akuma, you will regret the day you turned your back to me!" I shouted and ran away.

"Mari, wait!" Alya shouted as she followed me. I left the school and hid in the alleyway, waiting for Alya to leave.

"Where did she go?" She said.

"No idea." Isaac replied.

"Maybe she went home. C'mon." Chloe said and ran to my house. Isaac, Nino and Alya followed her.

I sat in the alleyway and started crying. 

"Marinette, don't cry. You still have friends who still believe you." Tikki said.

"I know but it's hard. I don't think I can go on,Tikki." I sobbed. 

My kwami hugged my cheek.

"Even if the whole world is against you, I'll always be by your side." She said.

"Thank you, Tikki." I said with a smile.