Compromise

James POV:

I woke up to keys opening her door. A familiar voice rang throughout the house. "Y/n! You better not be crying!"

Natasha.

Much to my dismay, I woke up Y/n. When she heard Nat's voice call out to her she quickly scrambled out of bed.

"She'll freak if she knows you're here" She whispered, hurriedly putting on her clothes.  I join her in the activity, also getting dressed.

I leave my shirt and she pushes me into the bathroom. Giving me a sweet kiss before she closed the door.

"Y/n! You're awake! And you look a mess"

"Yeah, I didn't get much sleep" She mumbled

"These sheets. They look like sex was had on them"

"Um, yeah! I hooked up with someone"

"Yay! Where is he? I heard your little whispering and I know he's in here."

Shit.

I assume she was about to open the bathroom door because Y/n screamed that her 'hook up' was in the shower. I promptly started the water, acting as if I was showering, which I desperately needed to do.

"Well then I'll wait"

"Natasha, James is in there" She sighed

"Like James Barnes, James?"

"Yes"

I open the door and smile awkwardly.

"Natasha, yell at me later. I need to have a private conversation with James"

She nods and left the room. "Did you make your choice?" I ask

She says yes and I nod. I could see her eyes shining.

"I wanna be with you, James. You make me so happy. You scare me a little, but I also know you would never hurt me"

I smile and place my hand on her cheek. "We can't be together, Sunshine"

"What?" She furrowed and brows and pushed away from me

"I care about you. But, simply being with you compromises your safety"

"No! You're talking nonsense"

"Y/n, I'll go insane not being able to have you. But, I rather go crazy than ever put you in harm's way again"

"Shut up, you big idiot! You have no clue what you're talking about"

I grab her hands and kiss her knuckles. "Don't shed another tear on this topic. My feelings will never change, sweet cheeks"

She wraps her arms around my torso and sobs in my chest. I pick her up and sit on her bed, holding her as she cried.

"Choosing to be with you while knowing the risk is an incredibly selfish decision"

"Can't we be together in secret?"

I shake my head no and kiss her forehead. Her red eyes and pouty face made her look so incredibly adorable.

I wanted her. Bad. But I didn't matter, she did.

"What if I come up with a way that we could be together and you won't have to worry about me?"

"Then, I'd be all ears"

She nibbles on the nail of her thumb and stares down at my crotch, which I don't think had anything to do with her plan.