Chapter 8: Mom

Robin

I put the last batch of cookies in the oven and went back to the living room sofa. Today was my day off, and I knew exactly how to spend it.

I had already gone to the gym this morning and since it was Saturday, August wasn't there as he usually didn't come on Saturdays. That was probably the only good thing that happened throughout my week.

Every two months or so, I went to visit my mom and sister. When I moved out here, they followed and bought a house about an hour away. I wanted to visit them more but with my work schedule, unexpected events and other things, I was always busy.

Now I am making the basket I always brought by. Most of the time it contained cookies, pies, hygiene products, a blanket I knitted, and money. The smile on my mom's face was always worth the hours I spent in the kitchen baking.

As far as my sister, Jennifer, we had the average sister relationship. By the time I had started middle school, she came along. Dad had just gotten off of chemotherapy, and when I went to college, he passed. I became protective over Jennifer when mom got diagnosed a few years later.

Soon the cookies are done and after getting ready, packing the basket and loading it in my car, I am on the road. Halfway to the house, I stopped for gas and shortly after arrived.

I knock on the door holding the basket and smile when Jennifer appears at the door. She matches my smile and opens her arms for a hug.

"Hey, Laurie!" She says, hugging me tightly. All of my family members have been calling me by my middle name for as long as I can remember.

"Hey." I reply as she lets me go. I step inside and she closes the door behind me. "How've you been?" I ask, looking around the living room.

She runs a hand through her dirty blonde hair. "You know, same ole, same ole. Hanging in there."

I face her, "How's school?"

Her expression turns into one of sadness and she avoids eye contact. "It's okay."

I turn to her in seriousness, "Jen."

She sighs as I walk around in search of mom. Everything is so gloomy, there's no spark or color in the kitchen or living room. There hasn't been any since dad passed.

"I'm trying to get into this college, the tuition is costly."

"Have you told mom?"

She shakes her head and replies, "No. She already has enough to worry about."

When we first found out about mom's leukemia, we tried to stay positive for her, but soon there was only so much we could do. The laughter and smiles slowly faded and soon there wasn't a day that went by where she didn't cry at least once.

I stayed silent for a moment, finally finding mom sitting in her chair in her room.

Gosh, she is so beautiful.

"I'll pay for it." I tell Jennifer as we stare at mom from the door entrance.

She turns to me in shock, "Really?"

"Yeah, I'll take care of it. But I better be the first person you send money to when you're a millionaire."

She smiles and hugs me tightly. "Thank you!"

I roll my eyes jokingly and move her away, "Yeah, yeah, whatever." I say, stepping inside mom's room.

She turns around at the sound of our footsteps and a smile spreads across her face. "Laurie!"

I smile back and lean to hug her. She rocks as she hugs me just as tight as Jen did. I sit the basket on the side of her chair and take a seat on her bed.

"My sweet baby!" She cheers, "Oh, I've missed you. You know Jen can't make those pies like you."

I am about to laugh when she begins coughing hysterically. Her face turns red and once she is done, she waves a dismissive hand at our concerned expressions.

"Oh don't look at me like that, I'm fine."

"Mom, I-"

"Laurie, I am fine don't start with that. But when it's my time, I want you girls to promise me something."

Jen and I glance at each other and lean forward. "What?"

"I want you girls to keep living, you hear me? Don't make the mistake I did. Keep living your lives just as if I was here and don't change for anyone you understand me?"

"Mo-" Jen tries to speak but mom cuts her off.

"Promise me."

"I promise." We reply in sync.

She sits back in her chair. "Good. Now tell me about this new wedding you've been babbling about on the phone."

For the next few hours, I tell them about what's happened since I last saw them. I include Marie getting married and having to plan the wedding with August. I had made it known that I hated August every time we spoke, so they were more than surprised at this.

Soon after saying goodbye, I am back at home. I try not to think about what mom said but am unable to and begin thinking about how long she actually has. This leads me to doing what I did every time I was stressed. Emotional online shopping.

Therapy or literally anything else would probably be better, but I didn't care. It calmed me to waste my money on items I'll probably never wear or use.

Around twelve I stare at my computer dumbfounded.

I just wasted three hundred dollars on kitchen appliances. Better than usual. Well done, Robin. Well done.