Chapter 38: What's Her Name?

August

I am going to put the next person that wakes up Robin in a chokehold.

It's been a few months since we found out she was pregnant. The obstetrician told her—because of the miscarriage—she needed to keep the stress low or it could harm the baby.

But my girl, the woman I love so dearly, has to be the most stubborn woman to exist on Earth. She works constantly, not allowing herself more than two days off, and won't sleep for more than four hours.

But I have a plan. Today is the baby shower and gender reveal. Meaning, most of our friends and family will be coming over. Robin wants to control the whole thing, but I'll be damned if I let everyone stress her out. I'm going to host the baby shower.

I tiptoe out of the bedroom as Robin finally closes her eyes. I glance back, making sure she is fully asleep before I jog into the dining room. I accidentally bump into the table, causing the picture of Robin's parents to fall.

"Shit," I mumble, lifting it back up. I breathe a sigh of relief when I don't spot a crack on the frame.

"August, what was that?" Robin shouts.

I scratch my head and look around. "Uh… it was nothing baby! Just go back to sleep alright?"

She mumbles something as I make my way back to the room. When I step inside, I smile. She has already fallen back to sleep. I kiss her forehead before exiting the room again. After reaching the dining room again, I choke myself. I don't stop until I am coughing hysterically.

There is a knock on the front door just as I am about to start decorating. I wince and jog to the door. I look through the peephole and find Damien and Marie standing behind the door.

I open the door and Damien smiles. "Hey—"

I kick his knee and place my index finger over my mouth, signaling for him to shut the hell up. "Robin is sleeping you inconsiderate fuck!" I whisper-shout.

A facial expression of amusement appears on his face as he holds his hands up and walks past me. When Marie tries to follow suit, I place my hand over her face. "Hold it, peasant."

I take the list of people Robin invited out of my pants pocket. I scan through the names and see her's isn't there. "You're not invited."

She frowns. "Well, surely that's a mistake."

I match her frown. "Well surely, it's not a mistake. Robin doesn't make mistakes. Now be gone, peasant. I've got work to do."

She leans forward. "Is she still mad at me?"

My frown deepens. "Mad about what?"

Her mouth goes agape. Marie pauses for a moment before stepping closer. I back up. "So, she didn't tell you?"

"Tell me what?"

When she doesn't respond, I grow irritated. I shut the door, only for her to reopen it as I walk away. I roll my eyes.

"Damien, I'm about to let my dogs make your girl their lunch," I say, walking into the kitchen.

He turns around from the decorations set out. "Can I ask you a question?" He replies, his facial expression turning serious.

"No."

"For the last year or so, she's been acting different. I have an inkling something is going on. But, every time I ask her, she turns it around on me."

I take the fruit trays out of the refrigerator. "Tough shit." I reply. I hand him the trays. "Put this on the counter."

"What should I do, man? I love her too much to let her go, you know? She's my first love. I can't… I can't just walk away."