Chapter 33: Four Weeks

The song above is dedicated to you. Listen to it.

Robin

I see them.

I can finally see them again.

I smile widely and begin running towards them. "Mom!" I shout.

Her back remains facing me. She's talking to dad, a darkness surrounding the both of them.

"Mom! Dad!" I shout again, nearing the circle that they stand in.

They still don't turn around. As soon as I reach them, I try to step inside of the circle, but I am pushed back. The bright light I had just been in is now gone. Instead, I stand in the darkness with them. But I still can't stand in the circle with them.

I frown and reach out to touch mom. I am pushed back yet again. My frown grows and I try again. I continue to try to touch them, call out to them, but they don't see me. They don't hear me. They only continue talking and smiling with each other.

I stand on the side of dad, a tear falling down my cheek. "Daddy, it's me. You don't... you don't remember me?"

He doesn't reply, instead they start to fade away as I start to hear a beeping sound. I start to panic, feeling my arms tighten. Mom faces me, finally, but before she has a chance to say anything, they both fade into the darkness.

A sharp pain goes to my stomach, making me groan. Then a needle to my arm. Sweat begins to drip down my forehead, my heart rate speeds up, my breathing becomes irregular and I feel as if I am being suffocated.

"Ms. Davis! Ms. Davis! Please, calm down!"

My eyes spring open. Breathing heavily, I sit up and look around in fear. Light. So much light I have to squint my eyes. Doctors and nurses hover over me, trying to get me to lie back down. When a needle pokes my arm, I lose it.

I swat away their hands and try to remove the PICC line from my arm. "Get away from me!" I shout.

My heart rate speeds up at the sound of my voice.

I'm alive.

Before I have a chance to think about anything further, the vital sign monitor beeps rapidly. "Stat!" someone shouts and my arm is poked with a needle.

I fall back on the hospital bed and it isn't long before I pass out. My dream is no longer filled with darkness. Instead, I dream of relaxing on a beach, listening to the sound of the waves peacefully.

When I awake, I hear the sound of someone familiar. I don't open my eyes, not wanting to hurt them even more with the lights.

The person clears their throat. "Hey, Robin," he begins.

Richy.

"I miss you. I'm happy you're okay, but I still miss you, you know? Do you know how lonely it is without you? August is going insane without you." He touches my hand. "Wake up, Robin. Please."

Before I can respond, he walks away and someone else touches my hand. I choose not to open my eyes again.

The person bumps into the bed and curses. "Now, ma'am, you know I love you." She says and after a moment, I realize it is Kelly. "I cried my eyes out when I heard what happened to you and I'm so grateful you're alive. But you have got to get your ass back to work! It's been five days and they're falling apart. Falling apart I tell you!"

It takes every bone in my body not to smile. After she walks away, I think the coast is clear, but another person strides in.

"Hey, gorgeous." He says, and I've never been so thrilled to hear those two words.