Chapter 22: I Need You

August

"August, I saw you take the card!"

I tuck the card further into the sofa. "Oh please, I don't need to cheat in candy land against you, Robin."

She stands up, "And what's the supposed to mean?" She asks, standing on her tippy toes and huffing her chest at me.

I step closer. "It means you suck, Davis. You are absolutely terrible at any board game you've ever played."

She pushes me on the sofa and before I can register what's happening, Robin chokes me from behind. "What the fuck are you doing?" I breathe out.

"Say you give up!" She shouts, tightening her hold on my neck.

"No."

Robin hits my head and squeezes tighter. "Say it, cunt!"

I had two options. I could simply lift her off of me and get revenge or I could bow down and give up. The first option seemed a lot more pleasing to my ego than the second.

"I give up! Your fucking nails are digging into my skin and not in the good way."

I remove her hands from around my neck and toss her to the side of me just as my doorbell rings. I get up as she smiles in accomplishment. When I open the door, Marie stands at the door with a wide smile and a plate of cookies.

I face Robin. "Marie is here!"

"Wait, why is Robin here?" Marie asks, stepping inside of the house.

"Yes. Come right in." I mumble, closing the door behind her as she walks to the kitchen counter.

"We were finishing some last-minute details for the wedding." Robin says, and I shoot her a confused glance.

Marie smiles, "Well, all right then!" She sets the plate of cookies on the counter. "Consider it one of the many payments for your help!" She says, walking back to the door. She says goodbye to Robin before leaving.

Robin and I pick up a cookie. At the first bite, I nod with a smile. Chocolate chips will never not be amazing. I take another cookie and Robin does. As if drugs are in it or something, we eat them all in less than five minutes. Once we are finished, I start to feel dizzy and I notice my eyesight becomes slightly less clear.

I laugh for no reason, and Robin matches my action. I point at her and frown. "Why did you laugh?"

She shrugs. "I don't kn-"

The doorbell rings again and before I can answer it, Marie walks back inside with a panicked expression. "Those are the wrong..." she sighs. "Cookies."

"What?"

"There were drugs in those cookies, you guys. Weed actually, Damien and I wanted to, um, try something, you know?"

I shrug, "Well, I feel fine."

"Me too."

"Robin, you're looking at the refrigerator, not me, honey."

I turn around and make Robin face Marie instead of the refrigerator. "Me too." She repeats.

Having enough of the chitchat, I pick up my keys. "Babe." I call out to Robin.

"Hmm?" she replies

"Let's go get a condom." I say, taking her hand behind me as Marie stands in front of us with a look of confusion.

"We've never tried those before!"

I push Marie out of the door with us and hold Robin's hand as I lock the door behind us. Marie complains to us about having drugs in our system and not being in the right mind to walk alone at night as we walk down the street, but we ignore her.