Chapter 24: My Girl

Robin

Twelve hours left.

I only needed to go twelve more hours without thinking of anything negative. That seems pretty easy, right? Hell no.

Yesterday, I went to the doctor for my monthly checkup. Everything went fine until he noticed my blood pressure had gone up. He suggested I go a day without being negative, claiming it would lower the stress.

This morning started off rough. I was biting my tongue and glaring nearly the whole time. But now I sit in my office, drinking a warm cup of tea calmly as peaceful music plays.

"Kelly." I say.

She looks up from her desk. "Yes, Ma'am?"

I smile. "How is your day?"

Her eyes widen. "Ms. Davis, I apologize deeply about the coffee incident the other day but I can assure you firing me is not the ans-"

I laugh, "I'm not firing you. I'm simply curious about how your day is going."

She stares at me suspiciously for a moment before a wide smile forms on her face. "Really?"

"Mm-hmm. What did you eat today?"

She drops her binder, shock written all over her features. "Holy crap. Oh my god. I don't even know how to process this. I've always dreamed of having a normal conversation with you that didn't result in you yelling at m-"

The door opens and August strides in. He slams his hands on my desk. "We have a fucking problem."

Instead of scolding him, I lean forward with a smile. "How may I help you?"

His brows furrow in confusion and he twirls his finger at me and the office. "What the fuck is this?"

"What?"

"What's with the peaceful music? Why are you not yelling at me?"

I shrug. "Today is all about positivity. Tomorrow is about revenge for positivity." I pat his hand. "Now, what can I do for you?"

He jerks his hand back. "Stop it. Stop being nice. It's freaking me out, Robin." He takes a seat. "Marie and Damien want to make some changes to the wedding."

"What kind of changes?"

"The whole theme. I'm no expert like you, but shit is bad, isn't it?"

"No."

His eyes widen. "Yes it is! How do they expect us to change the whole theme in less than a month?"

I close my eyes and exhale a deep breath. "Everything is going to be fine. We'll find a way." I say and open my eyes.

August stands up, staring at me as if I have just shot him or something. He holds my shoulders and shakes me. "Where the fuck is Robin Davis? I want her. I need her." He whispers, searching my eyes.

August and I come up with a schedule to accommodate the new wedding theme and soon he leaves, promising to call me later. After work, Henry takes me to the coffee shop and we talk about him. He tells me he likes this version of me far more than the other, which was the exact opposite of August. Henry wanted the fake, kind and naïve Robin, but August wanted the mean, bitchy, and stubborn Robin.

Once Henry takes me home, I do the same thing I have done since I ended things with August; Painting.

After mom passed away, I have been finding ways to distract myself from breaking down. After trying and failing many other activities, I finally came to the conclusion that painting was the best fit for me.