Chapter 28: Because I Love You

Robin

Richy sighs and wipes the sweat from his forehead as he flops back in his wheelchair. "I can't do this shit, Robin."

I pick up a water bottle from the snack table and hand it to him. "Don't you give up on me, Richy. You got this!" I try to encourage him, which only makes his frown deepen.

"I don't like nice Robin. She's too… normal."

"Well, if nice Robin is going to get you to want to walk again, so be it."

He rolls his eyes and stands up. I smile as he grips the handles of the walker in front of him. He slowly moves his leg from the ground, groaning as he does so. Then he does it. He finally walks again.

I begin smiling so hard my cheeks hurt. "You're doing it, Richy! You're doing it!"

He stops walking and faces me with a smirk. "We could be doing something else." He says and winks.

I roll my eyes and push the hair in his face back. "I'm going to call August."

I call August and tell him the wonderful news. He arrives shortly after and when he sees Richy walking with the walker, they hit each other as they shout nonsense at each other and smile happily.

When they are done, August lifts me up, making me giggle like a five-year-old. He presses kisses all over my face and neck before staring up at me with a smile.

"Robin." He says.

I smile back. "Hmm?"

"You are the definition of perfect, you know that?"

My smile grows wider and I peck his lips. "I am pretty perfect."

He sets me down and cups my face in his hands. August kisses me deeply, passionately, almost like he is claiming my lips. After a moment, he pulls away and presses his forehead against mine as I breathe heavily. "Thank you." He whispers.

August rubs my cheek before walking away. As I watch him leave to return to basketball practice, I find myself cheesing.

For the remainder of the day, I try to erase the stupid smile that he created. Kelly notices it and smiles.

"You should smile more, ma'am."

My smile drops and I glare at her. "What the hell is that supposed to mean?"

"It just means-"

"Are you implying I'm ugly when I don't smile, Kelly? Do you really have that much audacity?"

Her eyes widen. "No, ma'am, of course not! Ms. Davis, I can assure you, I do not think that way at all. You are one of the most beautiful women I-"

I laugh at her panicked expression and return to my computer. "I'm kidding, Kelly."

She exhales a deep breath. "Oh, thank goodness! I nearly- "

"But seriously. Don't ever tell me what I should and should not do ever again. You understand me?"

She nods hastily. "Yes, ma'am."

"Awesome."

It isn't long before it is time for me to leave. Since it was Friday and I don't work on weekends, I give Kelly a list of things I need done before leaving the building.

I arrive home shortly after. I hadn't eaten today and if it wasn't August's constant reminding of me to eat, I probably would have forgotten. I decide to make a pie, as I had been craving one for a while.

As I place it in the oven, my phone vibrates in my pocket. Once the pie is all the way in, I turn it to the correct temperature and close the oven door. I check my phone and see it is a reminder that Marie and Damien's wedding is in two weeks and that August and I needed to start looking for something to wear.