Chapter 34: I Like That

August

Since I had already prepared seven baloney sandwiches for Robin, I decide to stop by the coffee shop to grab a coffee for her.

I park my car next to the street. It ends up farther than I'd like because some idiot decided to park directly in front of the shop. After locking my car doors, I jog up to the coffee shop.

I glance at the car parked in front of it. I do a double-take when I find Kelly leaning on the side of the car. I frown and call her name. She looks up from her phone and as soon as she spots me, her eyes widen and a fearful expression appears on her face.

I point to the car. "So, you're the idiot who decided to park directly in front of the coffee shop?"

She fidgets with her hands as she nods. "Um... yep! That was me!" She looks down and searches for something in her purse. When she finally finds it, Kelly holds up a pair of car keys. "Let me just move it, okay?"

I nod and turn back around. As she opens her door, I remember something. My frown grows. I turn around slowly.

"Wait," I say.

Kelly pauses and stares at me, sweat dripping down her forehead. Her face is flushed, and she immediately starts biting her fingernails when I step forward.

"You're supposed to be at the hospital with Robin."

Kelly throws her hands up and shakes her head. "I'm sorry, okay? She needed me to take her to the coffee shop! It's not like I could say no!" she shouts, running a hand through her blonde hair.

My jaw tightens and I glance at the coffee shop door. "Are you telling me she's in there?"

She nods, fear still remaining in her eyes. "She told me she would only take ten minutes."

A tear falls down her cheek and soon more falls behind. My frustration turns into confusion. "Kelly, why the fuck are you crying?"

She throws her hands up again. "I don't know! I get emotional when I'm scared, okay? Robin is going to kill me!"

I scratch the back of my head. "You need a tissue or something?"

She sniffles and wipes her eyes. "Yeah, that would be nice." I begin walking back to my car to find a tissue, but Kelly yells my name when I reach it. I turn around. "Just go get Robin before she hurts herself or does something she's going to regret."

My frustration returns. I nod and stride to the coffee shop. When I step inside, I see the same cashier from the last two recent times I was here. She doesn't stop me from going to the back room.

I find Robin standing over asshat—-I mean—Henry. Her heel presses against his stomach as he cries hysterically. I chuckle and shake my head as Robin meets my gaze. "You little shit."

I hadn't hoped to see Henry again after the last beating I gave him a couple of hours ago. Well, it was more than just a beating. I also made Henry cut off the fingers he used to shoot Robin with. My adrenaline and rage were high. I had just found about the miscarriage and Robin was still in pain because of him.

Robin laughs. A high-pitched laugh that sounded nothing like her real one. She usually did that when she was nervous. She holds her hands out and she slowly backs away from Henry. "I-"

"I thought I told you to stay in the hospital."

I don't know how, but she manages to slide past me and out of the door as her hands remain up. "This was my coping mechanism. I promise I was going to go back as soon as I was done."

"Robin." I deadpan and begin following behind her.

"August, I'm sorry!" She yells, running out of the shop, her heels clacking against the ground.