prologue.

— dijon, france    august 1st, 1987

dijon, france
august 1st, 1987

Evelyn sat outside by the lake patiently watching as the swans glided majestically through the water . Her mother, Alana insisted that Evelyn would stay outside for a short minute. It was her seventh birthday and her mother was in a rush to set everything up perfectly.

Evelyn didn't mind waiting since she was more than happy to watch over the pretty swans, she decided to crawl closer towards the lake. With the sun hitting her back as she crawled nearer, Evelyn breathed in the smell of wildflowers and dipped her small hand into the cold water, she laughed gleefully as the swans began to swim towards her.

"hello.." she breathed, The water rippled as the swans swam closer to her.

"magnifique" she whispered

Their angel like wings fluttered softly almost as if they were flattered. Evelyn giggled happily as she continued to admire the elegant  birds in front of her.

"Evelyn!" her mother called out to her, Evelyn groaned and jumped to her feet, "je repasserai plus tard" she whispered to the swans, they looked up at her and made trumpet like noises as they glided away.

Evelyn quickly picked up her shoes that she'd slipped off earlier and ran off towards the cottage, her hair flying freely behind her. She slipped in from the back door and panted as she caught her breath.

"Evelyn." her mother warned, glancing at the small girl's muddy feet that had left mud prints all over the clean floorboards.

"Désolé" the girl said sheepishly before she smiled toothily at her mum. Alana sighed but shook it off and smiled warmly, "Come, i have a surprise for you.."

Evelyn bobbed her head up and down in understanding and held onto her mothers hand as she led her to the kitchen, "Ah ah, close your eyes" Alana said hurriedly. Evelyn giggled and put her hands in front of her eyes, leaving enough room between her fingers that allowed her to peek through them. "No peeking" said Alana as she covered Evelyn's eyes with her own hands.

"Maman" Evelyn whined, "Nope" Alana said popping the p as she continued to lead her into the to kitchen.

"SURPRISE!" her mum screamed, uncovering the small girls eyes. Bright balloons were tied around the table, streamers were hanging from the ceiling and an assortment of: cookies, brownies and other sweets were displayed on the table. A two layered chocolate cake sat on the middle of the table. The cake was decorated with raspberries and strawberries that were surrounded by piped flowers all over the cake. Evelyn nearly drooled at the sight of it.