25

[CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE]BOUNCING FERRETS

BOUNCING FERRETS

The storm had blown itself out by the following morning, though the ceiling in the Great Hall was still gloomy; heavy clouds of pewter gray swirled overhead as Evelyn, Harry, Ron, and Hermione examined their new course schedules at breakfast.

A few seats along, Fred, George, and Lee Jordan were discussing magical methods of aging themselves and bluffing their way into the Triwizard Tournament, while Blair and Gabi made multiple points as to why it was a bad idea.

"Today's not bad . . . outside all morning," said Ron, who was running his finger down the Monday column of his schedule. "Herbology with the Hufflepuffs and Care of Magical Creatures . . . damn it, we're still with the Slytherins. . . ."

"Double Divination this afternoon," Harry groaned, looking down.

"You should have given it up like me, shouldn't you?" said Hermione briskly, buttering herself some toast. "Then you'd be doing something sensible like Arithmancy."

"You're eating again, I notice," said Ron, watching Hermione adding liberal amounts of jam to her toast too.

"I've decided there are better ways of making a stand about elf rights," said Hermione haughtily.

"Yeah . . . and you were hungry," said Ron, grinning.

There was a sudden rustling noise above them, and a hundred owls came soaring through the open windows carrying the morning mail.

The owls circled the tables, looking for the people to whom their letters and packages were addressed. Evelyn returned to her porridge, not expecting any letters. Suddenly, a small barn owl landed in front of Evelyn, nearly knocking over her porridge. Harry, Ron and Hermione looked over at her in great interest.

"Who's it from?" asked Hermione

"No clue, I wasn't expecting mail?" Evelyn replied, taking the letter from the owl, rewarding the owl with soft strokes to its head. The small owl hooted happily and took off.

Evelyn examined the letter, St. Lawrence Orphanage, her heart dropped. She opened up the letter and silently read it to herself.

"What's it say?" Harry asked curiously

Evelyn faltered. "It's from the head lady at St. Lawrence... She says I must return after the school year, seeing as I wasn't properly adopted, I'm legally obligated to stay at the orphanage." she crumpled the letter up. "She threatened to get the authorities involved."

Ron scoffed. "That's rubbish! Their authorities have nothing on Dumbledore. I'm sure he'll straighten things out." said Ron. "Or better yet, Mum will just adopt you! You're practically my annoying little sister already anyways."